Hold on — Lauren “Scribe” Harris is back in studio?
Why, yes, yes, she is! With the Drakes out west, we need to fill the vacancy left behind; and Lauren is up for the challenge. Speaking of challenges, this week we’re facing that dreaded moment in a writer’s life when we look at a work-in-progress, realize that it is a ship sinking fast, and only one thing is left to do with it…
00:00 — Introduction
- Yay! Lauren’s back!
- Tonight’s cocktail comes courtesy of MurLarkey’s Distilled Spirits, a Virginia Distillery and Bristow’s first!
- Cinnamon Irish Coffee made with Cincerity
- Tee prefers Smoke on the Mountain
- This drink has a practical application, Lauren discovers
- What brings Lauren back to the studio…
03:54 — Starting from Scratch…Again (with Lauren “Scribe” Harris)
- What happens when the story isn’t clicking?
- For Pip, it was Hollywood Sentinels. A great idea…but just not a pleasant experience.
- The story is broken, and Pip can’t discover the disconnect.
- For Lauren, her own“Tackle & Grapple” happened not once but twice.
- And here’s a new writer’s term: Ol’ Yellering a Novel. (I am so, so sorry.)
- Lauren’s two Ol’ Yellers: The Mark of Flight and Hellhound
- Is Ol’ Yellering a novel worth it?
- If something feels wrong in a work-in-progress, chances are there is. Trust the instincts and start again.
- Happy Fourth of July from our subdivision!
- When two ideas struggle for attention, and one of the ideas isn’t falling into place, another idea might be worth pursuing.
- Do you scrap an idea when you’re under contract? Sadly, yes.
- How do you snap back psychologically from making the call of trashing a novel?
- Before investing the energy and time into a broken story, consider what you are putting into it and the return from that investment.
- What can be more crippling than scrapping a novel? Never finishing a novel.
- Tee faces all these demons with Blackstar Rising.
- This is the “Man Crush” moment of the show, featuring Chuck and Phil…
- No rapping! No rapping!
- Tee’s reboot of Morevi. Not. Happening.
- Lauren is a walking musical. You just randomly break out into song…
- Sometimes, it’s better to walk forward than look back.
- Scrapping an idea is not a reflection on you as a writer. It is a reflection on you as a professional.
31:42 — Writers Off the Clock
- Still a favorite of Pip’s.
- First stop for the weekend — Cobbler Mountain Cellars
- We popped a “Bear Cherry” together.
- Lauren’s favorite of the tasting: The Ginger Peach.
- The Jeffersonian — Tastes Like Slavery
- Cider Talk
- Next stop: MurLarkey Distillery
- This distillery is far too close to us!
- Tee recalls his Vodka Vault experience…and how terrible it was.
- However, the Divine Clarity was amazing!
- Another surprise—the Imagination.
- What we brought back— Clemoncy and Cincerity.
- And we’ve been mixing drinks…
- The winner of the weekend: Smoke on the Mountain
- Good times at MurLarkey!
- Clocking in time in the Man Cave with…
- Tai Chi Zero and Tai Chi Hero — a steampunk martial arts throwdown!
- Ex Machina — featuring a creepy Oscar Issacs
- Check out this uber-cool video featuring Sonoya Mizuno (Kyoko) from Ex Machina…
- What We Do in the Shadows — and Lauren has a new on-screen crush.
- The zombie interview should have made the cut.
- The Hunt for the Wilderpeople — heading out to see it (and we did and it was even better!)
- Escape Velocity, the first convention hosted by the Museum of Science Fiction
- Where is everyone?
- We looked good…but we were the only ones in costume.
- Fantastic programming, and apparently that was where all the people were.
- Steampunk in Anime, Film, and Print—the panel that almost wasn’t.
- The convention crew was spot-on amazing!
- Charles Dunbar and Doomtastic were on the panel…and we had a great time.
- Then came The Big Score…and communication was proving a bit of a challenge.
- Escape Velocity still came through, and I was able to give the presentation.
- Always nice when you do a giveaway and your winners get excited over the free stuff!
- Some advice to the con organizers for 2017…
- We need folks like Pamela Gay, Stephen Grenade, John Cmar, and others on account of the STEM focus.
- Where is everyone?
- Keep listening to see if Tee, Pip, and others return for Escape Velocity 2017…
58:34 — Wrapping up
- What do you know? We went long.
- Where Lauren will be?
- 16 July — Congregate in High Point, North Carolina
- Sometime in August — LaurenCon 2016 in Raleigh, North Carolina
- What’s coming up for us?
- 22-24 July, Motor City Steam Con in Detroit, MI
- 14-16 October, Steampunk unLimited in Strasburg, PA
- 22 October, The Maryland Renaissance Festival in Annapolis, MD
- …and we’re going to try and book signings all over the place this summer.
- Got thoughts or comments on this show or what we are rambling about at the end of the show?
- We have voicemail — 703.791.1701
- I have email — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pip’s got email — email@example.com
- …and on various corners of social media!
- Listen up — here’s where you can find all of us online!
- Whoops! Tee swiped Pip’s closing line.
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
on Tee, or the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences on Periscope
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.