Last week, we were supposed to be at Capital Con, but at the very last minute the event was cancelled. This meant our cosplaying guest Christina Payton was coming from California to Virginia, with all her outfits, for nothing. Well, that wouldn’t stand with us, so in this episode we wander into the unfamilar to us world of cosplayers and authors.
00:00 Introduction and VirginiaCon
- We begin with much head-bopping that doesn’t really work for podcast.
- We welcome Christina Payton to the Shared Desk
- Deadlines…but a 70k book that is Social Media for Authors! (Pre Order now if you like)
- We discuss the demise of Capital Con
- Hotels, knock off being mean to geeks
- Tee talks about his past experience with cons and shenanigans
- So Pip and Tee whip up VirginiaCon.
- Luray Caverns, and eating at Pavemint. Also, beer sneaks in. Sweet Baby Jesus…and some other beer…
- VirginiaCon then rolled onto Old Busthead Brewery and the Bone
- Pip played Mom and dropped off Tee and Christina at the Northern Virginia Summer Brefest
- Look for Tee on Untappd as Teemonster
- Flying Dog and Hunter S Thompson
- Everyone loves food trucks, but DC Slices is highly recommended by Tee
- Finally some cider for Pip. Winchester Cider works.
- Atlas Brewery in DC has a steampunk theme, so maybe we could do something there.
- The Pip and Tee take Christina to Proper Pie, and Blue Bee Cider. All three of us lose our memory…
- And we visit Agecroft Hall for a little history…
- VirginiaCon ends in the Manassas area.
26:58 Christina shows her mad cosplay skills
- Christina reveals her cosplay as Eliza D Braun from the Diamond Conspiracy, when she goes in disguise as a gentleman…
- Shout out to Verena in Germany
- Pip and Tee sum up our connection with Christina. It goes back to Emerald City and Demicon.
- Christina’s cosplay includes; the Antarctica mission, the opera dress, and the suffragette.
- Cosplay is all about finding the right fabrics.
- Cosplay also evolves as you find more accessories
- Christina surprises Pip with her cosplay of Sorcha!
- Tee asks how authors can help out cosplayers. Christina says it’s like picking your favourite song.
- So which was more complicated?
- Apparently Christina is great at whacking
- Pip loses her mind and asks the probing questions. Jason Chan is hopefully happy.
- Pip and Tee think about Mysticon
- V’s Cosplay
- But where are the Wellingtons?
- We’ve had a Ravyn Macallister
- So what drives someone to cosplay?
- Christina talks about what got her into it.
- Pip waxes lyrical on her experience with satin…
- Christina reads the first three chapters of book five, and already has ideas…
- Christina and Verena get chatty
51:34 The Wrapup
- Pip is surprised that time passes
- Christina talks about where you can find her. Wizardworld Comic Con in LA. Maybe a visit to the lighthouse in California from Dawn’s Early Light.
- A gender bent, steampunk Thranduil might be coming your way.
- Look for Pip and Tee at the Writers Digest Convention
- Pip and Tee had a fun time at the Rosemary House. There might be a return visit in the future, especially if we can sort things out with Mystery Books
- Find Christina at ElizaDBraunismyguru
- We’re looking out for teashops…
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.