Following a super-sized Shared Desk, Pip and Tee fly on their own in this fast-paced, jammed-packed episode that we put together based on some current events happening both online and close to home. First, your hosts comment on the 800-pound gorilla of social media, Facebook. Changes have taken place and authors are freaking out. But should day? Do you have options? Well, of course you do; and after breaking down the Facebook situation, Tee and Pip talk about the good in diversifying your social media platforms.
The next current event is a rant. Tee lets loose on shenanigans happening in his hometown, and these shenanigans involve a con-artist The Shared Desk is more-than-familiar with.
00:00 — Introduction
- This is a suitcase we need to unpack seriously…
- it was a good day today in Tee’s Twitch stream.
- Always remember where you park your TARDIS.
- How nice — a backlog for Smoky 2018!
01:25 — Episode #87: Part One – Facebook Changes
- Pushing back a chat with K.T. Bryski in light of Facebook changes that may affect authors.
- Additional thoughts on this big change from social media rockstar Erika Napoletano on Facebook.
- And The Oatmeal has some commentary on this as well.
- So here we are — at a crossroads with Facebook.
- Can authors still cope with Facebook?
- The challenge of handling ads and handling boosted posts
- The decision to launch an Author Page and just keeping a Facebook Page doubling for Personal Use
- Blurring Lines
- Diversifying Social Media Platforms for yourself
- Where is your audience?
- Resurrecting old platforms
- Have you fired up that Twitter account again? Tee has, thanks to Twitch.
- Instagram Tips and Tricks: Part One
- Why active boosts with Instagram is great for Likes…but the Conversion Rate is crap. Here’s why.
- Instagram Tips and Tricks: Part Two
- Avoid keeping your eggs in one basket
16:48 — Episode #87: Part Two – WTF RVA?!?
- Moving on to a rant.
- Remember this idiot from The Dog Days of Podcasting?
Well, she’s back. (Thanks, Indiana Jim.)
- A brief reminder of why this nitwit is not welcome at one of our barbecues…
- And Tee learns that women can be categorized as jackasses.
- Lani is coming to Richmond…to coach people on how to “navigate” the New York Times Bestseller List.
- Shame on you, Writers of Richmond, that you welcome this con artist to a conferences for professional authors! Shame on you!!!
- No, we’re not naming this conference because they don’t deserve the publicity.
- Oh yeah, Tee is pissed.
- The New York Times revoked Sarem’s standing and title, but both Sarem and conference are promoting her as a New York Times Bestseller.
- Sarem’s bio…and it is a doozy.
- How many people stay on the NYT Bestseller List for 23 hours?!
- What the actual F–K, Richmond Writing Community.
- Don’t even think about contacting this Hometown Success Story to speak at this Sarem-stanked event. It’s done. This conference is DEAD to Tee.
25:09 — Writers Off the Clock
- Serena has a sleepover at a friend’s house…so we had some alone time…
- …so they rented a movie. A movie with a somewhat divided opinion people have over it.
- So Tee has never read The Dark Tower books, but Pip was a fan of the early volumes.
- Why were fans upset over The Dark Tower series
- Idris Elba gets the best costumes, even when the costume is an ugly tweed jacket.
- Idris needs to do more comedy…
- How we think it is best to approach The Dark Tower…
- Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey were amazing in this movie. Solid performances.
- Distracting Daughter moment. Pardon us.
- How The Dark Tower fits into the grander King-verse.
- Idris Elba as The Gunslinger because… YEAH!
- Idris-McConaughey fantasies….of all kinds.
- Some other things The Dark Tower has going for it.
- Worth your time. Kick back and dig it.
37:19 — The Wrap-Up
- Counting down to Smoky Writers 2018…
- Operation: Endgame coming to print in February. Audio soon to follow. (Do leave us a review!)
- Other irons in the fire for Pip and Tee…
- Tales from the Archives, Season V is underway.
- Happy Hour from the Tower is still going strong, including new fiction from Tee!
- Pip’s Patreon is still rocking and rolling!
- Yep, she’s got a website for that new podcast of hers, We Don’t Talk About That
- And you can hear it first….if you become a subscriber.
- Pip is also working on a book that she cannot seem to recall what the hell she’s calling it.
- If you have an event and want The Shared Desk to appear there, or if you just want to share an opinion about the show, here’s where to find us…
- …and social media, of course.
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
leave us a voicemail or questions for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
We’ll talk about it!
And remember, you can find the show on iTunes or Stitcher!
Subscribe, listen, and review.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.