And finally, we sit behind the mics and fire up the wayback machine and the cart software for a new episode of The Shared Desk. We’re staying topical with talking about the change of heart podcasters are experiencing — reassessing the model of free. Once upon a time, we were all about making our fiction free in this new, daring audio medium that was podcasting. Here were are, eight years later, and oh how the times, they are a-changing….
00:00 — Introduction
- Look at us! We’re back!
- Oh Key & Peele — how we <3 you!
- Possibly the shortest introduction section ever!
- We’re looking back in this episode….
1:30 — Giving the Fiction Away for Free
- What happens when you decide “I don’t want to give it away.” when you have been doing fiction for free?
- The big question: Why did you give it away?
- Tee looks back to 2004 and 2005 when Tee made the call to podcast MOREVI
- Looking back eight years, and now considering podcasting in 2013
- The playing field in 2005.
- Since our friend and podcasting juggernaut Scott Sigler, we have not seen a new “breakout” artist.
- It’s no longer a “community” but a “market” and few of the OP’s (Original Podcasters) are featured or even listed prominently.
- An honest assessment of the path of podcasting
- Why did Pip make the big jump into the podiosphere?
- Tee and Pip podcast because we love it, not because we’re planning to overthrow “traditional media” with this platform.
- Quick shout-out to The League of STEAM!
- Pip asks Tee the tough question: Is Tee disappointed in the evolution of podcasting fiction?
- The ROI of Podcasting
- Not only is the playing field changed, so has the audience.
- Giving your work away for free is not a contract with your audience. It’s a giveaway.
- The Market of Giving the Fiction Away for Free still works, if you approach it properly.
- Yes, it has worked for Scott, for Cory Doctorow, for John Scalzi…but…….
- Would I advise a new author if they want to give it away for free? (Tee might surprise you…)
29:05 — Seriously?! Seriously.
- Still getting back into the swing of things…
- …and Tee needs to remember what drop in’s he has on call.
- Looking forward to the next show
- Dawn’s Early Light — it’s coming in 2013! In December! November!
- What happened recently? Tee’s a free agent again…so take a look at what he offers at Imagine That! Studios.
- And we are writing, writing, writing…and Darkwater is now out in the wild, along with Pip’s new proposal!
- Foreword Literary — our new agency!
- The Diamond Conspiracy (Book Four of the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences) is also underway…
- Next event in May — Up in the Æther
- Ending with a belated holiday wish….from Lauren “Scribe” Harris and Crazy Uncle Charlie.
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.