With Curse of the Silver Pharaoh now out in print, Tee and Pip head to a renaissance festival for hilarity and sheananigans. They invited for their little merry jaunt a pair of Laurens who know a lot about writing Young Adult fiction. So even thought it is Tee’s birthday, we are giving YOU a present with this podcast for your Friday!!!
00:00 — Introduction
- Missed a week, but for good reason!
- BEST WISHES FOR PC AND JEN HARING!!!
- We were having so much fun with Scribe and Scribby that we broke the show up into two parts!
- So how about we get back to it?
01:57 — Episode #67: Young Adult Fiction 101 (with Scribe and Scribby)
- Picking up where we left off in looking over Tee’s blogpost on writing Young Adult fiction…
- So as we are dealing with street kids in The Curse of the Silver Pharaoh, you might want to accept that they are not going to be little angels. IOW, they will not be talking like little angels.
- Sonic Boom thought about taking on a Herculean task…
- The conversation stems from a recent blogpost of Tee’s…
- Quick shout-out to The Hunt for the Wilderpeople
- Turning to the Books of Potter on harsh language
- So where is The Curse of the Silver Pharaoh falling?
- Checking your age range
- Tee’s first encounter with a “concerned” parent
- Scribby’s own encounters
- Reading habits of the Ladies in studio
- How a book serves as a “safe space” for teens and tweens
- A moment of fangirl awesome as Scribe and NYT Bestseller Gail Carriger meet Mercedes Lackey
- The discovery of gay characters for a young, impressionable Lauren Harris? Not a big deal.
- Scribby dealing with a “No Gay” Zone at the Library
- The Pros and Cons of Labeling
- A quick request for voicemail at 703.791.1701 on some music trivia
- You got a church? PROTEST OUR BOOKS!!!
- Tee’s Final Point: The Angst Level
- The Light versus the Dark: Comparing The Flash and Supergirl with Arrow.
- How Stephen Amell would make the situation in The Fifth Wave work…
- Teens are now laughing at the angst.
- How angst changes between teens and adults
- Remembering the balance of angst against the good times
- Hey, Pip, who are The Famous Five?
- Treating angst with care
- So…what actually did go on at Pip’s private girl’s school???
- Another reading from The Curse of the Silver Pharaoh…
- When it comes to S-E-X: Go gently in to that good night.
- Scribby, there is a huge difference between a “love triangle” and a “threesome” if you are wondering…
- Back to Gail Carriger and her handling of romance
- The romantic ways of teens
- Earning affections — not always so easy
- And Tee is twelve years old, for the record
- The real reason authors avoid sex in Young Adult: that “first time” is a little disastrous.
- How author John Green gets it right
- How Leigh Bardugo got it right for Scribe
- Sex in Y.A. — more emotion, less scrappin’
34:57 — LootCrate Lookie-Loo
- Two crates? What is this madness??? Oh, it’s the Loot Vault!
- And do we need to remind you that Tee is twelve?
- Loot Crate — July 2015 (Heroes 2)
- Fresh from the 60’s, a Batman Q-Pop
- A Star Trek air freshener (and Pip just got a new ride, so…)
- A sweatband from Legend of Zelda for those extra-long runs!
- From The Dark Knight, a multitool of a bottle opener and a keychain
- A D.C. Bombshell Wonder Woman poster for Sonic Boom…maybe?
- And with The Legion of Regrettable Superheroes, Tee’s collection is complete!
- Loot Crate — January 2016 (Invaders)
- A reminder of Tee’s childhood with a Q-Pop Space Invaders alien!
- A plushie Face hugger!
- Pip finally gets her Multi-Pass from The Fifth Element
- A X-Files LED flashlight
- Mini-prints from War of the Worlds and The Day the Earth Stood Still
- The X-Files tee shirt…that only Tee recognized
- How the Vault differs from regular Loot Crates
- All loot in the older crates are revealed
- All crates are at a discount
- Why is Boom in the doghouse tonight?
- Loot Crate upgraded their pins between 2015 and 2016…and this is a good thing!
- *sigh* Sometimes, Nerd Parenting is hard.
- Going into details on what’s in the Vault.
45:28 — Wrapping up
- Heading into the end of the year.
- Pip doesn’t want to take a break. So got a question or a comment for us? Let us know at 703.791.1701
- What’s coming up?
- Countless Hues of Crimson (coming in December)
- Audio version of Magical Mechanications (coming in December)
- Tales from the Archives: The Final Season (going live at Christmas)
- Where are we going to be between now and the end of the year: 18-20 November, PhilCon in Cherry Hill, NJ
- Mad love to New Zealand!
- Kicking off 2017 in January
- A full writing schedule, including Pip’s latest novel, coming in 2017…
- We are getting your voicemails and email, but we’ve been recording jam-packed shows of late. We will be getting to them soon! Until then…
- Call us at 703.791.1701 (now accessible through the Instagram app!)
- Send me email — email@example.com
- Send Pip email — firstname.lastname@example.org
- …or find us on social media everywhere.
- BONUS OUT-TAKE: Some behind-the-scenes silliness
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
leave us a voicemail or questions for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
We’ll talk about it!
And remember, you can find the show on iTunes or Stitcher!
Subscribe, listen, and review.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.