Amazon, man. Amazon.
After a month of writing, blogging, event planning, and deering-do, Tee and Pip return to the mics (finally!) for a brand new Shared Desk…but wait, didn’t we talk about Amazon last time? Well, yeah, we did, and once again we return to the latest “sweet deal” for you. It’s a look at Kindle Unlimited, and a look back to Tee’s Past all caught on video in this latest podcast.
Have a listen, comment on the blog, and feel free to reach out to us at 703.791.1701 to share your thoughts with us!
00:00 — Introduction & Catching Up
- Waxing nostalgic over Eva Marie Saint and Cary Grant…
- July got by us. Let’s just say that.
- Pip’s feeling the sting of hard-core audio editing.
- Pip’s been spending a lot of time in Deadly Hollywood.
- If anyone has zero room to talk about our edits as being “light tweaks”…
- Tee and Pip are waiting to hear from ACX and Writers’ Digest…on separate subject matters.
- We may not be at San Diego ComicCon, but our work is.
- One degree closer to Del Toro!
- Got to love that agent-of-awesome, Laurie McLean, and the way she’s working our works-in-progress…
- Darkwater is going through the pitching phase again.
- Tee’s still working on Wolf in the Fold.
- Publication date for The Diamond Conspiracy: End of March 2015.
- Sometimes Pip will let Tee in on what ideas she’s hatching…
9:04 — Kindle Unlimited…and Bad Timing on Amazon’s Part
- We’re not turning our Shared Desk into the “What the Hell is Amazon up to this show?” show…
- Kindle Unlimited
- Spotify for Books. (Don’t you call that a library?)
- Another great idea for Amazon…until the details come to light.
- How “deep” does this pool reach?
- There’s a deal for Kindle Unlimited for the Big Six, for indie authors, and for indie authors of a certain caliber.
- Hugh Howey got this “special” deal.
- And we turned to Joe Konrath for an opinion….
- Just so you know, it’s not just us who are stopping to wonder…
- Michael A. Stackpole (sharing Chuck’s blogpost on Facebook along with other resources…)
- Michael J. Sullivan
- Chuck Wendig
- The feudal system of authors on Amazon
- How Amazon surprised — or strong-armed — indie authors into this program…
- It’s a great idea with terrible timing.
- We’re trying this, but only with a couple of our titles.
- Three months of exclusivity? In book terms, that’s an eternity.
- Seriously, Jeff Bezos — between that letter to Hachette authors and now this little stunt, are you not thinking about how this looks?
- And Tee, once again, turns to Joe for comment on this matter of KU.
- If you think the comparison to Spotify is good, it’s not.
- Pushback from Episode #36
- David Bowie’s publishing bulge
- Kindle Unlimited is not really about the author, or author equality…
- Tee reflects on his own follow-up concerning erotica authors.
- Kindle Unlimited is a nice idea, but we want to try it on our terms.
- When it comes to Amazon and their services, know the terms.
- Exclusivity is never a good thing!
25:27 — “Writers Off the Clock”
- In this household, we support a swash and a buckle…
- It was The Musketeers that motivated Tee to go through stacks and stacks AND STACKS of videotapes.
- What have we discovered in this deep dive into Tee’s Past?
- Tee in his long-haired-hippie days.
- Tee taps!
- Tee on stage with ComedySportz, JMU, and Vpstart Crow
- My plan: Go through VHS footage, and then edit it all down to one “master” performance.
- Still searching for an edited rehearsal and footage of The Three Musketeers, on stage with Vpstart Crow.
- Why go through and edit all this? New ideas for #ThrowbackThursday.
- Signing with Swords — coming soon!
- Other great gems discovered…
- Some footage of me and my father, spinning tunes for WXJM
- Glyn Jones‘ Red in the Morning, premiering at JMU
- Tee discovers in this stumble down Memory Lane an interview in 1986…and I had the worst acne on my chin…
35:41 — The Wrap-Up
- Tee puts up a case for hanging on to some of these VHS tapes.
- The Curse of the Blair Witch Project…a better production than The Blair Witch Project.
- Besides digitizing video, we are…
- Having a sale on One-Stop Writer Shop. Check it out!
- September 13 — S4, coming soon!
- September 26-28 — Steampunk Unlimited in Strasburg, PA
- October (possibly November) — a special event at Huzzah Hobbies in Ashburn, VA
- October 25 — HallowRead (alongside Kate Smith and PJ Schnyder) in Ellicot City, MD
- Tales from the Archives — yeah, we fell off the rails…but we’re getting back on track.
- Anxiously waiting for word from The Parsec Awards…
- …and ACX on the audio edition of Ministry Protocol.
- Onward, to the future…
- Lauren “Scribe” Harris
- Abney Park
- Brute Force Studios
- Tiffany Trent
- The Museum of Interesting Things
- American Imperial Air Corps
- The Mango and White Rice Podcast
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.