We are horrendously late getting this episode out (but don’t sweat it as we’re going to be recording another one next week!) but let’s call it like it is: November was a cray-cray month! After a wild ride between the end of October and the beginning of November, The Shared Desk is reflecting on their week of solid creativity, and also share their thoughts about a creative Kiwi and his recent motion picture that you may have heard of.
So, yeah, it took us a few weeks to getting around to posting this episode. We blame jetlag, the holidays, and smoking meats…
00:00 — Introduction
- Pip kind of punches up the Kiwi in the introduction, and she blames Taika Waititi for that.
- This episode’s “Writers Off the Clock” segment isn’t happening, but let’s spend a few minutes talking about Marvel’s The Punisher.
- What have we been working on?
- Pip has got stuff happening on her Patreon!
- A new Christmas story is taking shape for Tales from the Archives.
- Both Pip and Tee are working on the edits for Operation: Endgame. Order your copy now!!!
- Tee’s also got two projects happening at Happy Hour from the Tower
- A new challenge: The Dog Days of Advent, in association with the Aventword.org
- Tee’s giving “Fiction Friday” a go.
- So, lots to do….around Christmas.
08:05 — Episode #84: What’s Going On at Goodreads?
- A development over at the social network for authors and readers worldwide: Goodreads
- Tee thinks this Goodreads situation is actually a good thing, making authors stop and look at the value of a “giveaway” be it on Good Reads or book blogs.
- What is the real R.O.I. on working with book bloggers and blog tours?
- So now, what are independent publishers expected to do?
- Publishers, from our own experience, do not throw money at authors and rarely throw money into promotion.
- With the free giveaway gone, why stick around with Goodreads?
- Disagree with us? Then sound off…
- …on the voicemail at 703-791-1701
- tee (at) teemorris (dot) com
- pip (at) pjballantine (dot) com
- What are the options remaining for authors?
- Your email list is your email list. Always.
- Social media platforms like Goodreads, Facebook, and the like? No, they are not there for you.
- A content creator’s relationship with Facebook
- Instagram and advertising — nice idea, but…
- Speaking of Instagram, here’s the new schtick…
- Tee has been returning to Twitter, thanks to Twitch.
- Cover Reveals: Pro’s and Con’s
- The great debate on writers blogging
- Pip and Tee start planning for 2018…
29:08 — The Loot Crate Lookie-Loo
- Pip is cutting the show short in order to get to this month’s Loot Crate!
- Neither Tee nor Pip can remember this month’s theme. Tee guesses…and gets it wrong.
- November’s Loot Crate: UNIFY
- From Funko Pop, a Loot Crate exclusive of Overwatch’s Widowmaker
- The mini Q-Fig celebrates the Power Rangers. (And if you blink, you might miss a Red Ranger sighting in Stranger Things 2)
- The Tee-Shirt: Voltron…in elegant 8-bit renderings! (Maybe Serena could wear it as a nightshirt.)
- Wait a minute, Loot Crate, you think your cat is looking rough-and-tumble in the Punisher hat? Hold on…from 2016, thank you……
- Pin: Superheroes assembled!
- Comic Book Reprint: Justice League of America (their first appearance), presented by Brave and the Bold
- Divvying up the Loot
- Pip sometimes misses those details that matter.
- Tee is counting down to December’s Loot Crate: EXPLORE.
- Star Wars
- Destiny 2
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- ….and a mystery franchise.
- Since we mentioned Guardians of the Galaxy, how about DAT TRAILER!
- Total nerdgasm at the Morris household!
- Mantis: “Hey, Hemsworth!”
36:25 — The Wrap-Up
- A few thoughts on Star Wars Day in Woodbridge, VA. You might want to not compare the U.S. Boy Scouts with…
- Quick shout-out to TD-0013, the only Imperial Stormtrooper I love!
- December 16, 10a – 7p — Jirani’s Christmas Con in Manassas, VA
- Thanks, Nick Kelly!
- Come on out! Details on Facebook!
- Good coffee and even better geekery!
- Sadly, no MAGFest this year, but…
- Happy Hour from the Tower is heading to GuardianCon 2018 in July!!!
- Other events confirmed for 2018:
- RavenCon (April)
- Steampunk Symposium (April)
- Steampunk World’s Fair (May)
- Eyeing up Balticon for 2018.
- Two weeks of Shared Desk, I know, right?
- When did Old town Manassas get cool?
- Pip’s Patreon will feature the first episode of her ALL-NEW PODCAST!
- Yep, she’s got a website (with a teaser) — We Don’t Talk About That
- And you can hear it first….if you become a subscriber.
- If you have an event and want The Shared Desk to appear there, or if you just want to share an opinion about the show, here’s where to find us…
- …and social media, of course.
- See you in two weeks!
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
leave us a voicemail or questions for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
We’ll talk about it!
And remember, you can find the show on iTunes or Stitcher!
Subscribe, listen, and review.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.