Guess who’s spending some time with us here at Casa de Morris? Piper J Drake is in studio, and we are bringing her on the mic for a brand new episode of The Shared Desk. Our eightieth show gets its topic of discussion from Twitter, and with Piper in studio you can be guaranteed of shenanigans happening!
00:00 — Introduction
- A little bit of pre-show silliness
- Stand back, everyone! We know what we’re doing!
- Piper J Drake is in the house. And has she been busy…
- A self-publishing adventure (along with a handful of other authors) called the Destination: Love Box Set
- The final in the Safeguard series, Contracted Defense, coming out…wait, it is out NOW!!!
- Much love for the kakapo
- Keep up with Peej at her website!
- Pip sneaks in an Operation: Endgame burn while also kicking off a new series called the Broken Dead, set in Southern Virginia.
- Quick plug for the Proper Pie Company.
- Do you name drop in your works-in-progress? Topic for another time.
- How about Tee? What’s he been up to?
- The third Edition of Podcasting for Dummies is done…and it is for sale! (Pre-order, of course.)
- Chuck Tomasi and I are celebrating the Podcasting for Dummies release with a special workshop!
- Quick aside: Matt’s running again, but he still has to keep up with Tee as he’s got the Dogfish Dash and The Woodrow Wilson Half-Marathon coming up!
- Spent Labor Day weekend at Escape Velocity 2017
- Met some great people!
- Big love from OuterPlaces.com
- Tee completes The Dog Days of Podcasting 2017 Challenge! (Enjoy the extra shows, everyone?)
10:11 — Episode #80: Promotion Across Audiences
- Today’s show topic comes from Twitter, where…
- Colin Coyle asks us on Twitter about the challenges we face in promoting our works across audiences.
- Piper’s cross-genre journey as a writer, and how she found herself in the Romantic Suspense genre.
- The Safeguard series (which was reflective of Piper’s science fiction Triton Experiment series)
- The True Heroes series (which features in Ultimate Courage a very familiar someone…)
- Does an audience follow you or do they follow the genre? How do you bring readers into new territory?
- What about when you straddle both non-fiction and fiction? Can you successfully market across that divide?
- Speaking of podcasting, Piper is spreading her wings into the podosphere with Writing Excuses!
- Non-fiction works can be regarded in writing as audition pieces for fiction.
- How does your voice change from work to work, genre to genre? And will audiences follow you?
- Tee’s heard both of Peej’s voices, and he likes them both!
- There are different genres we all write in, but there are common traits in what stories we tell and what characters we create.
- How do you look at your works-in-progress and upcoming releases from a promotional perspective?
- Pip tends to hear whispers from Nick as she’s working on her works!
- Thanks again, Colin, for the show topic!
33:41 — What’s Cookin’, Writers?
- Things Piper would never here in her kitchen…
- Pip indulges ina Jeff Goldblum moment.
- We dared the impossible: The Ramen Burrito
- Yes, you read and heard that right.
- The ultimate fusion dish
- It all started in San Francisco…
- What Pip, Piper, and Tee put into their Ramen Burrito
- Ramen noodles (quality be damned!)
- Fried egg (runny)
- Grilled Chicken Strips (including tips on how to make the most of frozen chicken strips)
- Seasoning includes butter, Sesame Oil, chicken spice packets, and Chinese five-spice
- Cucumber for crunch and for greenage in your Ramen Burrito (but we offer options)
- The Ramen Burrito may be coming to Smoky Writers…
- Our experience inspired others to create variations on this disturbing theme!
- Would we do the Ramen Burrito aga—YES!!!
45:29 — The Wrap-Up
- This “In the Kitchen” segment will probably happen again when Peej is in town!
- 2017 is coming to a close…
- October 21, The Maryland Renaissance Festival’s “Day of Wrong” is coming. Stay tuned for details.
- 28 October, Tee will be alongside Chuck Tomasi, hosting the P.I.Y. Workshop, a launch event for Podcasting for Dummies, 3rd Edition
- And we have two events already booked for 2018…
- MAD LOVE FOR JOHN STRANGEWAY!
- Piper was taking a break from appearances, but we did have some fun with her at the 2017 Nebula Awards in Pittsburgh. She’s kicking off her 2018 Appearances with Coastal City Magic in Florida!
- Tee and Nick are planning to take Happy Hour from the Tower on the road.
- The Steampunk World’s Fair will be a full-circle moment for Tee, Pip, Peej, and the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences.
- And did you know that Pip has a Patreon? SHE DOES, YOU KNOW!!!
- So does Piper it turns out…
- …but Piper knows her Patreon link by heart!
- If you have an event and want The Shared Desk to appear there, here’s where to find us…
- …and social media, of course.
52:20 — The 2017 Podcast It Yourself Workshop and Book Launch
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
leave us a voicemail or questions for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
We’ll talk about it!
And remember, you can find the show on iTunes or Stitcher!
Subscribe, listen, and review.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.