In our previous episode of The Shared Desk, Pip, Tee, Matt, and PJ all looked ahead to a week at the Smoky Writers’ Retreat. Now we jump ahead to the end of the week, and this time we are joined by KT Bryski. Cracking over an hour of word count goals, reflections on the fun, and serious talk about moonshine, The Shared Desk presents the Post-Retreat podcast.
Be warned — This way lies shenanigans!
00:00 — Introduction
- The drop-in’s reflect the week, pretty much…
- It’s a NEW drop-in, just for Foo!
- What is the name of this event?
- Matt and Tee are ending the week as they started it — with Ole Smoky Moonshine’s Apple Pie!
03:54 — The Post-Retreat Podcast (with Piper, Matt, and KT!)
- Only one hit of the shine, and Tee’s off the rails already.
- What we accomplished at the Retreat…
- Pip finishes The Silver Pharaoh, begins The Iron Lily, and continues into the Broken Galaxy; and she hit a Lowell! Just over 30,000 words accomplished.
- Piper J Drake rocks her deadline with the True Hero series. 40,000 words in the can.
- K.T. Bryski was a short story machine. BE AFRAID OF THE AWESOME!
- Tee finally wrote Little Red Flying Hood, got handouts sorted for an upcoming RT workshop, and kicked off Blackstar Rising. Over 30,000 words in the week.
- And now, Matthew J Drake, our accidental author…landing in over 20,000 words in a week!
- A quick tangent on the Apple Pie Moonshine…and then, back to Matt….
- Matt’s ascension into a full-fledged writer’s life.
- Just avoid the dreaded note from KT Bryski, editor…
- KT Bryski does NOT care for the new drop-in.
- The story behind Piper’s new drop-in. (We love you, Foo!)
- That drop-in and Penny Dreadful…KT’s kryptonite.
- And now—what happened after hours….
- KT’s favorite time — the presence of Lauren, and composing music with Starla!
- Matt’s favorite time — the first group reading
- Jumping back to KT’s off-hours visit to the Titanic Museum…a surprising find in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, and what an experience!
- Piper J Drake’s favorite time — visiting Ripley’s Aquarium and the somewhat-lubricated, off-hours chatter between authors.
- Pip’s favorite time — chilling with Alex White
- The Moonshine of Gatlinburg
- All the neat touches of our cabin…
- Hugh O’Donnell goes WAR BOY on us all!!! WITNESS HIM!!!
- What a great experience!
- Bryan Lincoln almost lost his work on account of a cleaning fit from Tee.
- Let’s talk about the food of Smoky Writers Retreat!
- Katie’s favorite meal — the Sticky Toffee Pudding
- Matt’s favorite meal — the handmade Gnocchi
- Piper’s favorite meal — the Ribs and GROWN-UP Mac-n-Cheese
- PIPER CHEATS! STEALS TEE’S TASTY-TASTY REUBENS!!!!
- Pip’s favorite meal — the Beef Wellington
- Tee’s favorite meal — the Crepes and the Scrambled Egg Sweet Poatoes
- Scotch Eggs, Chicken and Waffles, Brisket….cue Deadpool.
- Tee returns to Piper and Matt about the comparison between Smoky Writers Retreat, Writing Excuses Retreat, and other writing retreats.
1:02:0o — Wrapping up
- A moment for Eva Green…
- What KT Bryski is working on…
- The Canadian-sponsored folklore podcast that Katie talked about here!
- Black Creek Brewery because, it’s a job, eh?
- What Piper is working on…
- What Matt is working on…
- Finishing his science fiction novel.
- Tee and Pip set a due date for Matt’s progress — 11 June 2016.
- Working on a podcast with Tee called the Square One podcast…that is, if we call it that…
- What Tee and Pip are working on…
- Got thoughts or comments on this show? We have voicemail — 703.791.1701
- And we end on a super-classy note…
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
on Tee, or the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences on Periscope
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.