Breaking well beyond the boundaries of an hour, The Shared Desk brings you another on-the-road recording. This time, Pip and Tee are in Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas for FenCon VIII, and are joined by a rabble more of vile confederates:
- Gail Carriger
- Olivia M. Grey
- Beth Case
- Ash Robbins
- Machelle Grimes
The topic of the night — CONVENTIONS. Why do we pack up and head out for destinations unknown and why should authors consider paying them a visit? Join Tee & Pip poolside for this round table discussion on conventions from the author’s and the fan’s perspective.
00:00 — Introduction
- Are you sure you’re Philippa Ballantine?
- It was supposed to be a paperwork ceremony, but the neighbors had other ideas…
- Kick back for this hour-long extravaganza recorded in the great state of Texas!
02:28 — Concerning Cons (with Gail, Olivia, Ash, Machelle, Beth, and Odin)
- Introductions all around…
- So what brings our guests to FenCon and what did they expect?
- Odin gives his approval for FenCon’s Phineas & Ferb panel
- Speaking to Gail about experiencing a con from the GoH’s point-of-view
- Pip comes clean on how tough it was to “return to reality” after the Guest of Honor treatment.
- What do you as a potential guest offer to the cons?
- Tee shares a major faux pas that programmers can do to “enthusiastic” participants…
- SHOUT OUT TO BALTICON!!!
- A few words on Gail’s rack…
- Beth Case introduces herself. (She was late as she was playing with robots.)
- Ash is put on the spot: What could a newcomer bring to a con? (Let Tee tell you…)
- What is a Rite of Ascension for a Would-Be Author?
- The difference between Cons and Writers’ Conferences
- SHOUT OUT TO SIN!
- For Beth and Odin, what should the fans bring to the con? What would be considered good fan etiquette?
- “Fanboi” can happen to anyone…even Pip’s dad…
- Beth squees under peer pressure….and so begins spontaneous squeeing through the remainder of the podcast….
- Moments of fanboi happen, even with authors on meeting their heroes…
- Felicia Day makes Gail squee.
- Pip and Tee look ahead to ComiCon…and Tee gushes a bit over Jared Axelrod. (Easy to do.)
- Closing comments and promotions…with a SECOND SHOUT OUT TO BALTICON!!!
- breaks the ONE HOUR BARRIER!
59:15 — Writing Advice from Crazy Uncle Charlie
- If you’re going to break the one hour barrier, it might as well be with a Warlock Rock Star from Mars.
- Questions for Crazy Uncle Charlie
- From Olivia: What is your process for creating characters?
- From Machelle: Should I use an outline, or dive into writing a story?
- From Gail: Should I use a pseudonym?
- C.U.C. is a little distracted by the present company, but he soldiers on…
- What is it about Odin1eye that bothers C.U.C.?
- Pip tries to keep C.U.C. on track. She tries…and tries…and tries…
1:06:16 — The Wrap-Up
- The audio is barely two week’s old…and it’s already dated.
- Heading to New York Comic Con this week!
- Check out our websites for our New York Comic Con schedules.
- We’re on an app!!!
- But we are not done yet! We’re hooking up with friends at ComiKazie Expo in Los Angeles.
- Chillaxing?! Seriously?!
- Thanks, Gail, for this episode’s album art!
- Yes, the next episode will not be super-sized. It’ll be just us. (Maybe…)
More Shout-Out’s During the Show…
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.