Hey-hey-hey, podcaster and author P.C. Haring is in town, kicking back with Tee and Pip; so of course the mics are going hot. Here, Tee, Pip, and P.C. go into the mindset when you collaborate with other creators and play in another author’s sandbox.
00:00 — Introduction and Tangents galore
- The magic of a false start (and BTW, this is Episode 4…)
- Introductions all around that digress into impressions of Angry Birds
- Welcoming in-studio guest P.C. Haring, author of Cybrosis
- Taking a moment to remember Whrrl…
- …and Wingin’ It from Farpoint Media (where you might still be able to catch hints of Tee podcasting in 2005)
03:38 — Collaborating in Shared Universes
- Whose sandbox have you played in?
- What a dirty, dirty sandbox Erotica ala carte is…
- When working in a shared universe, how hard do the rules apply to your writing style?
- P.C.’s genesis of “The Seven” featuring Agent Brandon Hill
- Talking a bit about “The First Day”
- How guest authors go from writing in canon to creating canon (with a shout out to Jack Mangan)
- Defining boundaries with your guest authors (and being a pro about it)
- When you invite writers into your world, expect only one thing — the unexpected!
- Another advantage of playing in another’s world: Writing out of your comfort zone
33:38 — Writers Off the Clock: Gaming on the xBox 360
- P.C. Haring…also known as The Great Enabler
- The story behind the xBox 360, and how we were dodging the gamer’s bullet…until…
- It all started with Kinectimals and Dance Central…
- Tee squees hard over Batman: Arkham Asylum (and yes, even Pip, a bit of a Batgrrl…)
- Then comes Portal. (Damn you, P.C. Haring…)
- Tee flashes back to the days of Myst.
- And if our banter doesn’t convince you, take a moment to watch this…
- And here are a few of our current favorites on the iPad:
- Galaxy on Fire 2
- Angry Birds
- Crimson: Steam Pirates
- Cowboy Guns
- Unblock Me
- Words with Friends
- Shout out to Felicia Day for her Guild goodness!
- The good and bad for gaming writers — Give yourself the break, but don’t get lost in the time
- Leave it to Mister J to get in the last word…
51:39 — The Wrap-Up
- Kinda nice to have P.C. there for the end and the beginning…
- Some feedback from Logan Waterman concerning Episode 3 of TSD and High School of the Dead
- We didn’t think HSotD could get any titillating. Silly us!!!
- Where you can find P.C. Haring online!
- P.C. Haring heads to Archon while Tee and Pip head to New York Comic Con!
- Where you can find us (and even our steampunk characters) online for feedback and questions for Crazy Uncle Charlie
Drop-In’s: Mark Hammil as The Joker in Batman: Arkham Asylum
Websites We Give a Shout-Out to
- Scott Sigler’s The Crypt
- P.G. Holyfield‘s Tales of the Children
- J.C. Hutchins’ 7th Son: Obsidian
- Tee’s naughtier stories — “Release Me” and “Dagger of the Mind”
- A shout-out to my day job — Intersections, Inc.
- J.R. Blackwell, the creative force of nature behind our show graphics
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.