It’s been a month! Where have these two been?! Well, Tee & Pip have been tackling deadlines, and that struck them as a good topic for the next Shared Desk. So join these two in a deep dive into the wonderful (no seriously, wonderful) world of deadlines.
00:00 — Introduction
- What are you sitting on, Pip? (No, it’s not a euphemism!)
- Running down a laundry list of what’s happened between episodes
- The Janus Affair is now off to New York!
- Thoughts on the Goodreads Choice Awards (We were #8 in the Top Ten…and that rocks!)
01:55 — Deadlines
- What is it about being sick around deadlines?! (It’s something Pip and Tee do well.)
- The importance of deadlines — why they are needed
- Defining a deadline
- Congrats to all the participants of NaNoWriMo
- How we love buffers in podcasting…and with deadlines.
- What happens during deadlines — Life.
- Deadlines are not a terror, but a motivator for the writer
- Good catches during the editing process
- From an editor’s point-of-view, how do you gauge time to give contributors for deadlines?
- Understanding benefits and consequences when fiddling with a deadlines
- Acceptable “Life Happens” siutations
- When the deadline is kept — promotion and touring
- Managing multiple deadlines
- Reviewing the future deadlines we have on our chalkboard (Personally, I like Barn & Mule…)
- After you reach your deadline and send things off, celebrate!
- What did we do?
- Tee is the g–damn Batman!
- Pip does something she hasn’t done in a while — started a recreational read!
- Getting caught up after a deadline, and looking ahead to what we need to do…
- And while Tee takes a drink…Pip goes quiet.
21:03 — Seriously? Seriously.
- Some things were going down in the publishing world…and it hits Tee’s hot button.
- Thanks to Tee Tate and her blog, Lit Stack for bringing this to our attention.
- Here’s Quentin Rowan a/k/a Q.R. Markham, and his story.
- Does his story sound familiar? That’s because he copied it from someone else.
- What pissed Tee off? He wanted us to feel sorry for him.
- With soundtrack, the dramatic reading falls apart…kind of like this guy’s lie.
- And now Tee and Pip go off on Quentin Rowan’s “addiction”
29:32 — Writers Off the Clock
- Taking a breath…
- With Pip being sick, Tee and Pip curl up with Bridesmaids.
- A review…complete with spoilers
- What we liked about the movie
- Not afraid to go there
- Meeting the various bridesmaids
- Rock solid funny…up to a point.
- The fourth act…what the hell happened?
- Chris O’Dowd — kept Tee’s attention
- Two of the Bridesmaids disappear for the remaining of the film
- The movie stops being an ensemble piece and becomes a formula rom-com-buddy-chick-flick
- And what the hell was the end sketch with Melissa McCarthy?!
- This movie was marketed like The Hangover…but it felt more like The Hangover of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
43:22 — The Wrap-Up
- Hanging in there…
- How we’re wrapping up 2011
- The Janus Affair: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel— We got the cover…and it’s BEAUTIFUL!
- Hunter & Fox — Another pretty cover…and we’re sitting on that one, too!
- Still trying to narrow down release dates for 2012
- Let your favorite bookstores know about our upcoming releases.
- One more show for the year…and what a year it has been.
- The final show of 2011 will cover Setting Goals, and the first show of 2012 will be the Fan Appreciation show!
- Where to find us online…including a Goodreads Discussion Group!
- And here’s where Tee completely shuts down…
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.