Welcome to the end of 2011, and with a busy Christmas behind them, Tee and Pip are releasing an onslaught of podcasts (starting actually back on Christmas eve with a Tales from the Archives Christmas Special), and The Shared Desk is part of that aural assault. Ending one heck of a year, Tee and Pip not only look back on 2011 but share a few ideas for what they are planning for the new year…
00:00 — Introduction
- The first (of many) drop-in’s hits Pip without warning…
- Tee’s got a new set-up for the show — a new toy called Soundboard.
01:11 — A Look Back at 2011
- Tee and Pip take a look at 2011, and Tee gives a hint of things to come for future show production…
- Tee makes a hollow promise concerning the frequent drop-in’s
- We’re a bit surprised about how this show is being received.
- Enough about the podcast — what about writing accomplishments?
- A quick mention about The 99¢ Special for Phoenix Rising.
- Tee feels as if he has finally conquered short stories.
- A good year for writing, both fiction and non-fiction…
- Tee’s ghost-written article for the day job — Part 1
- Tee’s ghost-written article for the day job — Part 2
- Tee’s ghost-written article for the day job — Part 3
- Looking back on the cons from 2011
- Finally, a moment to catch our breath from an eventful year…
12:00 — Planning for 2012
- Pre-production on The Janus Affair book trailer
- Lessons learned from the Phoenix Rising book trailer
- Parts are being cast, and ideas are flying…
- What we’re planning for this book trailer, and any additional footage.
- Tales from the Archives: Volume 2, coming in April
- The 2012 Convention Tour
- How Tee and Pip narrow down their con schedule
- What are the “definities” of the 2012 con schedule?
- Pip’s upcoming releases — it’s a busy, busy year for the kiwi!
- Pip’s quick rant on cover art theft
- Some quality talk about Hunter & Fox, the new series Pip launches with Pyr Books in 2012
- Other ideas kicking around in our heads for the new year
- As writers, plans are important. Take some time and map out a realistic plan.
28:38 — Seriously? Seriously.
- From The Guardian comes a story about Lucía Etxebarria, a writer in Spain who is really talented when it comes to bad career choices…
- One of Spain’s outstanding novelists is making a claim that book piracy has driven her out of the industry.
- And Pip soldiers through the onslaught of drop-in’s…
- The publisher’s solution to combatting book piracy in Spain: Don’t offer it as an eBook.
- A discussion about book piracy
- What we’re calling a “Seriously?!” on — the writer’s reaction to her lackluster sales.
- Playing the Blame Game in Publishing
- We write because we love it. Can book pirates really steal your thunder like that?
37:51 — Writers Off the Clock
- False start…complete with background noise…
- Catching a movie over the holiday — Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
- An off-the-cuff review…complete with spoilers. Fast forward to The Wrap-Up if you want to avoid our chatter.
- What we liked about the movie
- The original stories from a variety of Conan Arthur Doyle’s classics
- The bromances throughout the film
- More steampunk elements introduced
- Breathing a sigh of relief at the timing of our book against this movie…
- Highly recommended for people who want to have a fun time at the movies….and not accurate adaptations of Sherlock Holmes stories.
43:59 — The Wrap-Up
- Now we’re going to wrap up the episode…
- This is the BIG wrap-up for the year!
- Thanks to everyone who has been listening.
- Tales from the Archives — the final episode of Volume 1 is almost here!!! (Pip’s fault.)
- Get your voicemail in before January 8 so we can get them in for our Listener Appreciation Show.
- What’s the plans with Chronicles of the Order?
- Tee stumbles through the CreativeCommons outro while Pip nails it on the fly…
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
One Response to The Shared Desk — Episode #009: Looking Back and Planning ahead
Oh wow! You all had an AMAZING year! And one heck of one coming too. 🙂 Look forward to all you have planned. The trailer sounds amazing. I enjoy taking pieces of the book to create it.
So glad to see you enjoy the new toy Tee. 🙂 Really does make it fun and personable. 🙂 And reactions from both of you is fun. lol.
Oh I do want to see Sherlock Holmes. Glad to hear the tips about it and that you enjoyed it. The workings of Sherlock’s mind is just wild, that seems to be what caught our eyes in the first one. And more Steampunk! Yes! 😀 Thank you!
Oh, don’t feel bad about Tales…it seems the end of the year came so quickly. I felt bad I’ve not been listening in the last few months. I did get caught up though. 🙂
Happy New Year to both of you! And wishing you all the best in health, life, and writing. 🙂