Recorded LIVE at Balticon on the final day of the event, Tee and Pip are joined by a lively audience, all of whom take pains to keep Tee in line and muster up the courage to ask Crazy Uncle Charlie a few questions on writing…
….and Crazy Uncle charlie has a few surprises in store for them! It’s a wild ride with the Parsec-nominated podcast, The Shared Desk, at Balticon 48.
00:00 — Introduction
- Shutting it down like a boss!
- Reflection on a Balticon Cookout. (Thank God we made it out alive!)
- We’re keeping this episode on a tight(ish) schedule because we got stuff to sell!
3:35 — Perspectives (or the “I Love You, Man!” Show)
- Lessons learned at Balticon
- Pip was enjoying many an “I love you, man!” moments last night with the grown-up Gummi Bears.
- Sonic Boom in the House!!!!
- P.C. Haring…put back in his box by Nick (MOTHER F-ING) Fury.
- Leading into a quick shout-out to our Intern of Awesome, K.T. Bryski.
- And if you’re wondering what people were laughing at…
- A Perspective on Success
- There was something about Balticon this year…
- People were really excited for the Ministry, and yet Pip and I still feel like were the rookies of steampunk.
- When J.R. Blackwell and Jared Axelrod pull you aside to have a heart-to-heart, you know it’s about to get serious.
- The audience looks at Tee and thinks “Wow, that’s Tee Morris! What an ass.”
- And a few thoughts from Sonic Boom…
- A slip of the tongue…and people pile-on correcting Tee. (But he comes back for more. Always.)
- The thoughts of Jared and J.R. and Jon Stallard of the 501st: It’s not the same. Can we go back there?
- But is that a bad thing? Don’t we want to spread the geek love? (Phrasing.)
- In the middle of Balticon, Pip wanted to tell friends how it is…and that’s a good thing.
- Pip even said something sweet and endearing to her husband. Kind of.
- Tee looks back on his first Balticon as P.C. Haring brings Cybrosis in print to the event.
- Our kid can do math! Huzzah!
- From Rockstar Treatment…to the Real World.
- The dangers of losing perspective.
- Remember — there’s always someone in the playground bigger (and in some cases, meaner) than you.
- Considering the Up’s and Down’s of 2014
- Pip’s found her zen.
- Tee’s winding up and going on mic with his “I love you, man!” moment.
- OMG! We have to mention TEH KITTEHS of New Zealand!!!
- When it comes to friends, we are in the 1% tier.
- What else is going on with us?
- Our agent is pitching new properties from Tee & Pip
- Deadly Hollywood, a new property from Pip Ballantine
- Immortal Progeny, Pip’s Epic Fantasy currently in the works
- Darkwater, a spinoff title from the world of The Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences featuring Rafe Rafton (100% Elf-Free!)
- Wolf in the Fold, Tee’s first step into Urban Fantasy
- The Curse of the Silver Pharaoh, Pip’s Y.A. spinoff from the Ministry universe
- Our agent is pitching new properties from Tee & Pip
- Tee gives a quick shout-out for a steampunk Y.A. film The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box, the best-kept secret of steampunk films.
- Yes, we have enjoyed success, but we’re ready to level up.
- The audience wants to start up a new hashtag — #MoPOForever
- Pie-in-the-Sky dreams for who would produce the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series
- Shout-out for Hiddlebooks and Jenna Louise-Coleman with Brian Cox and Nathan Fillion on deck….
32:40 — Writing Advice from Crazy Uncle Charlie
- And the room goes rather silent as Charlie enters the room…
- Sonic Boom is not fooled.
- Crazy Uncle Charlie is having a tough time knowing where he is…
- Question #1: Writer has a short story, popular with his peer readers, but he’s having a tough time selling it. What should he do?
- Charlie is momentarily distracted by Lauren “Scribe” Harris. (Could Charlie have a potential stalker on his hands?)
- And Charlie comes out of box, swinging…
- Hold on….is Charlie making sense?
- And then, we come back to the Charlie we know and love.
- Question #2: Writer wants to know the sweet spot between “creative inebriation” and “rat-faced hammered” for consuming alcohol.
- Charlie reveals the line between inebriation and genius. It is cotton balls.
- Writing drunk is like drunk tweeting. Think before you plot.
- Be responsible for the words you herd. (Holy cow — Charlie is working a new strategy in writing advice!)
- Question #3: Writer wants to skip the laborious process f writing and editing and just get to sharing the story. How do you develop the discipline?
- The Concept is the Process, and the Process is the Concept
- What kind of writer are you? A Pantser or a Plotter. (Charlie doesn’t believe in pants.)
- Find your routine and stick with it.
- Question #4: Why do first-time writers balk at the end of projects? Is it a fear of failure? how do we get past that stumbling block?
- That fear never goes away.
- Every new title is a challenge, a new place for the bar to be set.
- Let the fear fuel you.
- Charlie blanks out for a moment, then pulls it together for a giveaway.
- And there is jubilation over the Shared Desk’s Mega-Prize Pack and Super-Prize Pack…
- …hold on — what’s this third prize pack Charlie is giving away?!
47:36 — The Wrap-Up
- THAT. WAS. CLOSE.
- Giving The Shared Desk sign-off very quickly…
- Now — let’s sell some books!
- YES! We want your feedback — 703.791.1701
48:26 — Warm, Fizzy, Sign-Off
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.
2 Responses to Episode #35: The Shared Desk — RECORDED LIVE AT BALTICON 48!!!
Wow, what a great listen. I loved the new SHIELD drop-ins, and I apparently am missing out on the secret world of Gummi Bear goodness.
I gotta say Boom may have stolen the show, though!
I would not deny that. The Boom was working it.