by admin |
August 10, 2017 · 7:44 am
Special thanks to Corbin J Drake for the photo.
WE’VE BROKEN INTO DOUBLE DIGITS! And thank you, everyone, for the feedback through voicemail, Twitter, and Facebook, over the Dog Days of Podcasting. Tee goes long on this episode (hey, it took him until the TENTH episode to shatter the 15-minute mark, so that is saying something…) but it was a real hot button for him: Rejection. It’s a matter-of-fact that in life—not just the arts, but in real friggin’ life, rejection is going to come into play. How do you cope? Does it get any easier? Why bother?
Tee doubles down on a fistful of observations and opinions, and offers up a perspective on the big R.
Hold on to something…
Find Tee on Twitter here,
leave a voicemail or questions for the Dog Days of Podcasting at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
I’ll talk about it!
And remember, you can find this show on iTunes or Stitcher!
Subscribe, listen, and review.
Filed under Special Featurettes
Tagged as acceptance, agents, bravery, depression, desires, dreams, editors, Facebook, feedback, hopes, hybrid author, indie publishing, industry, investment, job hunt, New York, opinions, progress, publishers, reality, rejection, risk, self-publishing, setback, struggle, submissions, success, Twitter, writing
by admin |
June 4, 2014 · 2:45 am
Recorded LIVE at Balticon on the final day of the event, Tee and Pip are joined by a lively audience, all of whom take pains to keep Tee in line and muster up the courage to ask Crazy Uncle Charlie a few questions on writing…
….and Crazy Uncle charlie has a few surprises in store for them! It’s a wild ride with the Parsec-nominated podcast, The Shared Desk, at Balticon 48.
00:00 — Introduction
- Shutting it down like a boss!
- Reflection on a Balticon Cookout. (Thank God we made it out alive!)
- We’re keeping this episode on a tight(ish) schedule because we got stuff to sell!
3:35 — Perspectives (or the “I Love You, Man!” Show)
- Lessons learned at Balticon
- Pip was enjoying many an “I love you, man!” moments last night with the grown-up Gummi Bears.
- Sonic Boom in the House!!!!
- P.C. Haring…put back in his box by Nick (MOTHER F-ING) Fury.
- Leading into a quick shout-out to our Intern of Awesome, K.T. Bryski.
- And if you’re wondering what people were laughing at…
- A Perspective on Success
- There was something about Balticon this year…
- People were really excited for the Ministry, and yet Pip and I still feel like were the rookies of steampunk.
- When J.R. Blackwell and Jared Axelrod pull you aside to have a heart-to-heart, you know it’s about to get serious.
- The audience looks at Tee and thinks “Wow, that’s Tee Morris! What an ass.”
- And a few thoughts from Sonic Boom…
- A slip of the tongue…and people pile-on correcting Tee. (But he comes back for more. Always.)
- The thoughts of Jared and J.R. and Jon Stallard of the 501st: It’s not the same. Can we go back there?
- But is that a bad thing? Don’t we want to spread the geek love? (Phrasing.)
- In the middle of Balticon, Pip wanted to tell friends how it is…and that’s a good thing.
- Pip even said something sweet and endearing to her husband. Kind of.
- Tee looks back on his first Balticon as P.C. Haring brings Cybrosis in print to the event.
- Our kid can do math! Huzzah!
- From Rockstar Treatment…to the Real World.
- The dangers of losing perspective.
- Remember — there’s always someone in the playground bigger (and in some cases, meaner) than you.
- Considering the Up’s and Down’s of 2014
- Pip’s found her zen.
- Tee’s winding up and going on mic with his “I love you, man!” moment.
- OMG! We have to mention TEH KITTEHS of New Zealand!!!
- When it comes to friends, we are in the 1% tier.
- What else is going on with us?
- Our agent is pitching new properties from Tee & Pip
- Deadly Hollywood, a new property from Pip Ballantine
- Immortal Progeny, Pip’s Epic Fantasy currently in the works
- Darkwater, a spinoff title from the world of The Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences featuring Rafe Rafton (100% Elf-Free!)
- Wolf in the Fold, Tee’s first step into Urban Fantasy
- The Curse of the Silver Pharaoh, Pip’s Y.A. spinoff from the Ministry universe
- Tee gives a quick shout-out for a steampunk Y.A. film The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box, the best-kept secret of steampunk films.
- Yes, we have enjoyed success, but we’re ready to level up.
- The audience wants to start up a new hashtag — #MoPOForever
- Pie-in-the-Sky dreams for who would produce the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences series
- Shout-out for Hiddlebooks and Jenna Louise-Coleman with Brian Cox and Nathan Fillion on deck….
32:40 — Writing Advice from Crazy Uncle Charlie
- And the room goes rather silent as Charlie enters the room…
- Sonic Boom is not fooled.
- Crazy Uncle Charlie is having a tough time knowing where he is…
- Question #1: Writer has a short story, popular with his peer readers, but he’s having a tough time selling it. What should he do?
- Charlie is momentarily distracted by Lauren “Scribe” Harris. (Could Charlie have a potential stalker on his hands?)
- And Charlie comes out of box, swinging…
- Hold on….is Charlie making sense?
- And then, we come back to the Charlie we know and love.
- Question #2: Writer wants to know the sweet spot between “creative inebriation” and “rat-faced hammered” for consuming alcohol.
- Charlie reveals the line between inebriation and genius. It is cotton balls.
- Writing drunk is like drunk tweeting. Think before you plot.
- Be responsible for the words you herd. (Holy cow — Charlie is working a new strategy in writing advice!)
- Question #3: Writer wants to skip the laborious process f writing and editing and just get to sharing the story. How do you develop the discipline?
- The Concept is the Process, and the Process is the Concept
- What kind of writer are you? A Pantser or a Plotter. (Charlie doesn’t believe in pants.)
- Find your routine and stick with it.
- Question #4: Why do first-time writers balk at the end of projects? Is it a fear of failure? how do we get past that stumbling block?
- That fear never goes away.
- Every new title is a challenge, a new place for the bar to be set.
- Let the fear fuel you.
- Charlie blanks out for a moment, then pulls it together for a giveaway.
- And there is jubilation over the Shared Desk’s Mega-Prize Pack and Super-Prize Pack…
- …hold on — what’s this third prize pack Charlie is giving away?!
47:36 — The Wrap-Up
- THAT. WAS. CLOSE.
- Giving The Shared Desk sign-off very quickly…
- Now — let’s sell some books!
- YES! We want your feedback — 703.791.1701
48:26 — Warm, Fizzy, Sign-Off
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.
Filed under Episodes
Tagged as #podcast, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., audio, Balticon, cookout, Crazy Uncle Charlie, goals, humbling, I Love You Man, K.T. Bryski, laziness, Nick Fury, P.C. Haring, perspective, Pip Ballantine, reality, rock star, success, Tee Morris, The Shared Desk, works in progress