This Shared Desk is, once again, a look at the silver screen from the Writer’s Desk. This time we have returned from watching Suicide Squad. With a re-watch of Batman V Superman fresh in our minds, we decide to do a breakdown of both films and discuss how Suicide Squad succeeded where BVS failed.
00:00 — Introduction
- The drop-in’s are hinting over what we’re talking about
- Look who’s in studio—it’s Laura Nicole, the Gypsy in the Attic!
- Tonight’s Drink
- Tee’s going with an old favorite: Romantic Chemistry from Dogfish Head Ale
- The ladies are embibing with a Richmond Favorite: Blue Bee Cider
- Laura’s got a new book…provided she could remember this book’s title.
03:45 — Batman V Superman & Suicide Squad from the Writing Desk (with Laura Nicole)
- In preparation for going to see Suicide Squad, we all settled in to watch Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.
- Working chronologically, but let’s talk a bit about the first impression of Suicide Squad.
- Were there any funny moments in BvS? A few, actually…
- Zac Snyder, fess up—you have no clue how to handle Kal, do you?
- Stop playing favorites, Snyder!
- Pip’s take on the plot of Batman V Superman: Utter ridiculousness.
- How BvS is a great lesson in giving characters agency.
- Tee’s new project: Bond CRIBS.
- So why are people pissed at Superman again? Luthor? Senator Finch? Seriously, no one knows!
- Even when the characters gained agency, the script stole it from them.
- Anyone else think Doomsday was shoe-horned into this script?
- No, Pip REALLY didn’t like Alexander Luthor.
- Alexander Luthor, Social Media Douchebag.
- For God’s Sake, Superman. Jesus Christ………
- Addressing the 800-pound gorilla: DC Films is trying to catch up with Marvel.
- Age of Ultron and Batman V Superman—what they share in common.
- Pip loved Wonder Woman…but her presence was a little odd.
- Both BvS and Suicide Squad suffered weak plots. That’s a shame.
- The problem with Lois Lane.
- What’s with the crazy dream sequences?!
- The Writer’s Grades for Batman V Superman
- Laura: D-
- Pip: D
- Tee: C- (I’m trying to be good to it, Billy Flynn…)
- That script was begging to be Ol’ Yellered!
- Onward to Suicide Squad…
- Better characters
- The odd story was easier to follow.
- AMANDA WALLER. Boom.
- Where Tee wags a finger at Billy on the “multiverse” defense for these film, and talks a bit about the inherent problem with comic book movies.
- In praise of flashbacks
- Suicide Squad worked (more or less) with the ensamble cast.
- Why didn’t Captain Boomerang get killed off? Why Slipknot, the one Native American character? I’m just saying.
- Katana wasn’t needed…but she was awesome.
- This wasn’t a Will Smith movie.
- Tee’s favorite Harley Quinn Moment
- One little problem: “The Big Bad”
- Problems with The Enchantress as the main villain
- The Joker. Okay…Tee’s trying to put behind him his own feelings on Method Acting. That being said…
- A deep dive into the relationship between Joker and Harley (that Suicide Squad handled exceptionally well)
- We wouldn’t say no to a Harley film.
- This movie was not the mess that critics made it out to be.
- The Writer’s Grades for Suicide Squad
- Pip: A- (Like mother, like daughter)
- Laura: B
- Tee: B+
- And a few tangents in-between…
- Want to know the best way to take make an Aussie die in public?
54:56 — The LootCrate Lookie Loo
- Time-shifting so we can get in this Lookie-Loo
- Boom’s got her own Loot Crate happening. Stay tuned for that!
- August’s Loot Crate: Anti-Hero
- The Tee-shirt: Archer for President
- Q-Fig Figurine: Harley Quinn and her hyena from the classic Batman: The Animated Series
- Loot Wear: Kill Bill socks
- Loot Crate pin: World of Warcraft
- Loot Crate Exclusive: Hellboy’s Right Hand Of Doom
- This crate is the first crate that we’re keeping EVERYTHING!
- What’s in the Anti-Hero booklet?
- Pip has a plan for all the pins…
- Hold on, we’re time-shifting again!!!
1:02:12 — Wrapping up
- Where will Laura be?
- Chapatacon in October
- Vally Free Radio (Vally Free Radio.org)
- Tee steps up to see if he can still do the Radio DJ radio challenge. (And yes, he has still got it!)
- What’s coming up for us?
- 14-16 October, Steampunk unLimited in Strasburg, PA
- 22 October, The Maryland Renaissance Festival in Annapolis, MD
- …and we may be headed to PhilCon!
- Got thoughts or comments on this show or what we are rambling about at the end of the show?
- We have voicemail — 703.791.1701
- I have email — email@example.com
- Pip’s got email — firstname.lastname@example.org
- And Laura is at GypsyLaura.com
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.
One Response to Episode #63: Batman V Superman & Suicide Squad from the Writing Desk (with Laura Nicole)
Pingback: Episode #64: Following up with K.T. Bryski and Her Writing Grant | The Shared Desk