You can’t say “No” to this…
It is the Lin-Manuel Miranda edition of The Shared Desk. Don’t think Lin-Manuel Miranda has anything to do with our topic, but as you listen to the show, you’ll understand why we are dedicating this show to the cast of the hottest musical to hit Broadway in decades…
00:00 — Introduction
- First show of the New year on account of a really rough start…
- New drop in from Hamilton: An American Musical
- Heading to Farpoint this weekend, but not the first event of 2017. At least, for Tee.
- We got to make this event happen this weekend! We got to WORK!
03:54 — Episode 71: Dealing with the Imposter Syndrome while Pining for Lin-Manuel Miranda (with Special Guest Lauren “Scribe” Harris)
- What are we drinking tonight? Viking Blod, the breakfast of writing champions!
- The story of Blod and Smoky Writers Past.
- A topic that came up during MAGFest…
- The Imposter Syndrome
- Defined by Tee
- Defined by Pip
- Defined by Lauren
- The debate over the Imposter Syndrome
- What do you say when successful indie authors are suffering this?
- The next Hamilton reference…and another…
- If your goal isn’t the validation you seek, then what is?
- Are you listening to Words of a Feather podcast? Well, you should.
- The Imposter Syndrome can come from a variety of sources…
- Starting new projects in uncharted countries
- Looking at where you are in your career and where you want to be
- What’s attractive between both independent publishing and traditional publishing?
- What’s tough to do between both independent publishing and traditional publishing?
- Pip’s firmly planted in the Nick Kelly camp when it comes to the Imposter Syndrome.
- Lauren owns it
- …but Tee also copes with it…
- ….and so does Pip.
- Tee’s biggest Imposter Syndrome fear: He’s not a well-read guy.
- How do we combat Imposter Syndrome?
- For Lauren: Working harder.
- For Tee: Jumping into a new idea.
- For Pip: Solving the problem within the work.
- Wired for Story — a resource all writers should have within reach
- The return of Old Yeller…
32:00 — Writers Off the Clock
- So…fucking Lin-Manuel Miranda and his goddamn incredible talents…
- Why were we resistant of the Ham Wagon?
- For Pip: The girl’s a REBEL!
- For Lauren: Her Obsessive Personality
- For Tee: The Actor in Him and His Love of Musical Theatre
- How did we finally surrender to the phenomenon of Hamilton: An American Musical?
- For Pip: That reprobate from the Great White North…
- For Lauren: Her roommate (and former guest of the show), Skribby
- For Tee: He knew he was in trouble when watching Moana.
- Sonic Boom was listening to Hamilton before we were!
- Shout-out to the Howard Family who met one of the King George actors after the show…
- Lot of cool things the Hamilton cast did during Lin-Manuel’s run.
- Shout-out to JMU alumni behind the Shenandoah Shakespeare Express!
53:33 — The Wrap-Up
- Drunk auditioning for Hamilton
- More dates coming in 2017…
- 24 February – 5 March, Smoky Writers Retreat in Gatlinburg, TN
- 28-30 April, RavenCon 12 in Williamsburg, VA
- Lauren will be at Balticon as well as the Writing Excuses Cruise…and possibly reuniting with her alluring cover model from Countless Hues of Crimson…
- What was your favorite or most informative show in 2016?
- Call us at 703.791.1701 (now accessible through the Instagram app!)
- Send Tee email — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send Pip email — email@example.com
- …or find us on social media everywhere.
- Tee can still do the end tag even after Blod!
- Tee’s got a surprise in the works…
1:01:23 — Post-Show Groove
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
leave us a voicemail or questions for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
We’ll talk about it!
And remember, you can find the show on iTunes or Stitcher!
Subscribe, listen, and review.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.