- Tee has some new dropins for us from Aggretsuko
- previous 96 audio wasn’t good enough, so it is a lost episode now. Spooky!
- Pip comes out from behind the mic
- Shout out to Key City Steampunk. You’re still awesome.
02:53 A Writer Beware Moment
- Ways to read signs ahead
- Marie Bilodeau’s blogpost to read
- Anyone we know through Katie is a good egg
- Our sore point gets triggered… not getting paid
- You need to be getting statements at least every six months
- Do check out SFWA’s Writer Beware
- Examine your contract before signing… a trick for new and eager writers
- Tee was smarter than the average author, and checked out his first contract throughly
- Pip did not
- Tee recommends research and get a lawyer to check it out.
- Make sure the lawyer is one versed in contract law and Intellectual Property
- Be as serious about your contract as you are about your writing career
- Pip confesses to grabby hands… and that rare time when Tee is smarter than she was
- Make sure your contract specifies how you can get out of it.
- Tee admits he did make other mistakes
- Don’t make your author copy transactions too complicated
- Keep yourself in charge of pricing when working conventions and events
- Small press has the most varied of contract, but every contract needs to checked
- Small presses also far less likely to pay advances and agents therefore usually won’t get involved on your behalf
19:07 Trust Your Gut Too
- Tee dives into some bad memories from the past… and Pip points out that was ancient times
- A party makes an impression
- An uncomfortable conversation where Pip gets a vibe
- If you can’t get a straight answer out of someone, ask yourself if you want to be in business with them
- Be alert for red flags
- Check with author groups (some good ones on Facebook) on the reputation of the publisher
- When a contract is broken, it still takes money to fight
- Legal fights in different states and countries can be tricky
- Tee did have to threaten legal action to get paid… but he did get there eventually. But he was in the same state as the company who hadn’t paid.
- Tee got a great birthday present!
- Professional organizations can help you get your money, often without needing to resort to courts
- Also, without statements you don’t know how well your books are selling
- Wiley statements showed a renewed interest in Podcasting for Dummies—so new edition happened
- Such are the nuts and bolts of the business
34:20 Writers off the Clock: Binge Worthy Media
- We have a plan for a certain Amazon Original
- Time for Mindhunter on Netflix. Just as good as Season 1!
- Being typecast as Manson
- Serial killers doing audiobooks
- A nice look at expanding a series
- The Boys on Amazon Prime
- New Zealanders FTW
48:38 Wrap up
- Find Tee at TwitchCon 27-29 September
- Find Pip and Tee at the James River Writers Convention 12-13 October
- and at the Maryland Renaissance Festival 19 October
Podcast: Play in new window | Download