We welcome Savan Gupta to the show, but Tee is audio only… and it had nothing to do with Pip!
- Savan kicks it off, and the party begins.
- Having a company is apparently just as stressful as kids
3:07 Savan begins to unravel all his creative endeavors
- Steam-funk Studios– a multi-media and marketing firm
- From that came the Living Multiverse, a cross-media fiction project… and World Domination
- The Unconventional champions journalist and academic excellence in fandom—The Rolling Stone of Fandom. Fanthropolgy
- Sepia Riot, a project in development, championing Indian, Arab and Asian representation in fandom
- The Unconventional will be coming this year!
8:03 Tee asks Savan how he manages all these amazing projects
- Savan keeps a regular schedule, military like
- Manage expectations with those that are working with you
- Savan vets everyone and gives them an orientation so that people are ramped up
- Communicate any problems that crop up in life
- Tee throws himself under the bus, but also owns his problems
- Savan points out that when you act like a professional everything is simpler
12:29 Pip asks Savan just how many people he’s collaborated with over the years
- Savan remembers another collaboration, Geeks Gone Wild
- Collaborating means having standards and processes to encourage others who want to work with you
- Savan comes to this from a financial market
- Pip gets jealous of Savan’s organization
- Tee points out the collaboration with Galileo Games was very well organized
- Savan mentions that he’s spent years all over the country, finding talent
- Savan says past and present he’s worked with hundreds of people
17:41 Tee asks, so what do they all do?
- Everything began as a performance troupe
- In 2014 critical mass happened. Slick-brass and the Crew of the A.S.S. Titilus was joined by Rohan and the Dogs of War. Then more… and more… and consulting for others
- It got so big, that they needed residuals to support the performance, so Savan changed tack.
- Rebooting the brand, they turned inward to evaluate what goods and services work best, to make money
- The Unconventional is free, because its aim is to make a community- but it gives plenty of attribution, and a bio
- Attribution is something we need more of
- Savan answers the question about how many people who work in the company
- Shout out to Savan’s teams!
- Pip’s mind is blown
27:01 Tee asks Savan how he handles when collaboration goes bad
- Savan makes clear what expectations are, and how much time it will take to his collaborators
- His exceptions clauses are; your health (you don’t have to disclose what those are, legally as well), day job/school (hell weeks do happen in both), and finally your family.
- Everyone needs paperwork!
- Tee, Savan and Pip discuss about deadlines
- Savan describes his ‘break glass’ situation
- Now the Hobbit comes up… we have all been forged by fire
- Savan calls back to his father, for his fortitude and persistence
51:14 Tee makes sure when the pandemic is over, Savan will break bread with he and Pip once again
- Tee reveals his love for Trejos Tacos cook book
- Culinary arts series coming from the Unconventional!
53:17 Where can we find Savan Gupta?
- The Unconventional News
- Geeks Gone Wild
- Steam-funk Studios
- So many of Savan’s websites will combine their forces shortly
- We look forward to seeing Savan and his groups at events next year!
- Tee’s hair is becoming mythic… almost as mythic as Thomas Willeford!
- If you want Savan and his productions to visit your event next year, now is the time to book!
If you have an event in 2021 and want The Shared Desk to appear there, or if you just want to share an opinion about the show, here’s where to find us… 703.791.1701
…and social media, of course.
Show art by Candy Cane Studios
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
leave us a voicemail or questions for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
We’ll talk about it!
And remember, you can find the show on Spotify, iTunes or Stitcher!
Subscribe, listen, and review.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download