Madness in Vegas!
The plane had barely time to get properly cleaned by the ground crew before Pip and Tee started what was to be a week in Sin City. Sure they brought busy work in case there were any slow points…but thanks to Piper J. and Matthew J. Drake, that didn’t happen. Strap yourself in—it’s a retrospective of RT 2016 on The Shared Desk!
00:00 — Introduction
- Tee is no Sammy Hagar.
- We were meeting up with Piper J. Drake and Matthew J. Drake!
02:15 — While My Guitar Gently Leaks… (An RT 2016 Retrospective)
- RT Booklovers Convention in 2016 — a brand, new experience!
- Arriving in Vegas early…
- Tee rallies against the jetlag, and he and Matthew hit the Strip
- Piper J Drake invites us to her “Rocker-Stripper Hangout” at the Elara.
- We were teaching alongside Linnea Sinclair, Damon Suede, and Stacey Kade at the RT Pre-Boot Camp
- Workshops a plenty for two days straight!
- Even Tee picked up a few new things during the workshop!
- A nice way to ease into the 2016 RT Convention…
- Pip compares convention centers between 2015 and 2016.
- Day One…and thanks to a purchase from the Miracle Mile, Pip and Tee enter the convention LIKE MOTHERF–ING ROCKSTARS!!!
- “Vegas, baby!” — a phrase we used often.
- Our first panel — “Steampunk: The Diverse Punk”
- Addressing the 800-pound gorilla about diversity
- How Tee felt being the “odd man out”
- A quick tangent on peels and Nalini Singh
- And we were off and running…
- Pip Ballantine, always making new friends from Oz.
- How an update to an app turned our “007 in a Corset: Spies & Steampunk” into The Tee & Pip Show.
- Readers Entertainment Magazine loved us. I mean, they loved us!
- We hooked up with Starla Huchton eventually and it became a mini-Smoky Writers Reunion!
- Later in the day, we hit the Social Media Fair…and we identify as the O.P.s (Original Podcasters) still rolling out the audio!
- Jumping back to Damon Suede’s Cinema Craptastique and a treatment of Abduction. The horror, the horror……
- Cirque du Punk
- Pip meets Hope McCurdy, the embodiment of the Iron Lily.
- Amazing circus performers!
- Cyberpunked deejay FTW!
- And here’s Pip, Starla, and PJ as the punked up RGB Scale…
- So why was Tee getting attention during the day?
- The Intergalactic Bar & Grille, hosted by Linnea and PJ. So — much — fun!
- This was a healthy-sized collection…and an exclusive!
- What an awesome experience! Really felt welcome!
- Linnea must have liked me as she trusted me with her Mad Libs…
- The RT Book Fair of 2016 — 600 authors, and a WHOLE LOT OF PEOPLE!!!
- Ended the RT experience with a trip to Mandalay Bay’s Red Square.
- The difference between infused vodka and straight vodka: delight versus rubbing alcohol.
- The hard lesson of Vegas: EVERYONE IS TRYING TO UPSELL YOU!!!
- And everyone is an enabler in Vegas. (Oooooh, Steve!!!)
- But seriously, we loved Hash House a Go-Go!
- Catching up with Rachel!
- She’s working the Jersey Boys.
- Off-the-Strip sushi…nom.
- A really good beer place…that we can’t remember. (Help, Rachel!)
- The Return to Frankie’s Tiki’s Room!!!
- Was it worth it? Oh hell yes!
45:54 — The Loot Crate Lookie-loo!
- A new segment for the show…
- We are newbies to LootCrate, and we LOVE it! So far…
- February — The Dead Box
- March — Versus
- And now, April….
- April’s LootCrate
- The Labyrinth tee shirt
- A drinking horn from Vikings
- Harry Potter Horcrux socks
- A d20 ice mold
- A d20 lapel pin
- Uncharted 4 poster
- What’s in your box?
- What should you do with the stuff you don’t like? (Free giveaways!)
51:48 — Listener Mailbox
- Two shows in a row! Keep it up, everyone!!!
- A quick update from Hugh O’Donnell and his “Warboy” drive from Tennessee to New York.
- Doc Coleman asks about the decision process when picking and choosing conventions.
- Keep the voicemail coming in at 703.791.1701 or drop us an email, Subject line — FOR THE SHARED DESK!
1:01:48 — Wrapping up
- A jam packed show…because “Vegas, baby!”
- Where Tee and Pip are heading next…
- Got thoughts or comments on this show? We have voicemail — 703.791.1701
- Now, off to Westeros….
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
on Tee, or the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences on Periscope
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.