Oh the times, they are a-changin’…
Social Media has been really busy since we last dropped a show for The Shared Desk, and as we agreed to do in our Social Media for Writers title, we’re going to talk about some of the changes happening as well as go into the best way to maximize your dollar on Facebook and other social media fronts.
00:00 — Introduction
- We’re rocking into the Sixties!
- Tee enjoys the Cute of Melissa Benoist while Pip gets a little homesick.
- The Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Scribe Approved!
- Thanks to author and sometimes-guest, Nick Kelly, Tee is recording with FireWire again!
- Now, moving forward…
01:06 — Episode #62: Developments in Social Media for Writers
- Today’s show is brought to you by Social Media for Writers.
- There have been some changes this week in favorite Social Media platforms.
- Talking from the seat of authority is Pip Ballantine, the Pinterest Warrior Princess
- Cosmetic changes in how pins appear.
- Looking for the “Pin It” button? Look to you right.
- Promoted Pins — a new venture, a new opportunity
- Precautions against SPAM
- If you want to use a Bit.ly link on Pinterest, don’t bother. (Thanks for the head’s up, Pinterest.)
- Yeah, we got great communication as a couple!
- Facebook changed the layout of the Page…
- …and chances are you’ve got new algorithms to figure out, too.
- Yes, Facebook saw record profits this year, but with a billion people using their service, they need to keep the lights on.
- Do you want to promote a Page or a post? Thanks to Veritasium, here’s why we boost posts…
- A look back on the fun days of Organic Reach.
- If you want people to see content, it’s going to cost you.
- So BE SMART on what you boost.
- And when people dig your boosted posts, you should notice an uptick in Page Likes.
- Facebook’s Rules on text in images.
- Did you know that Facebook acquired Instagram?
- Step One: Know where your Instagram profile. Tee does. Pip, on the other hand…
- A new look and a new option for Instagram accounts…
- When jumping to a “Business Profile” you decide what you do and don’t share.
- Yes, now you can go on and directly contact us through Instagram…
- Now as a Business on Instagram, you can promote images like this….
- CORRECTION: Text-heavy images like the #TeaserTuesday selections can be promoted on Instagram!
- Analytics are provided.
- There are a few hiccups to clear, but overall? WOW!
- It was all thanks to Geektitude and the Average Geek Podcast where Tee discovered this new Instagram feature.
- And Tee lapses into his inner-Donald. (Sorry about that, folks.)
34:32 — The Loot Crate Lookie-Loo
- July’s Theme — Futuristic (and Pip’s hosting the honors…)
- You know all these Loot Crate items we’re setting aside as we’re not into that fandom?
- A contest that we’re announcing a winner at LaurenCon! Here’s what you have to do!
- Inside the July crate…
- A tee-shirt from Rick & Morty
- Your very own Megaman
- Pulling back the Butterfly Girl to the topic on hand about what we’re doing with the Loot Crate stuff outside our fandom.
- Back to the July Crate…
- A Futurama statue…and Tee thinks it’s pretty cool!
- Star Trek Live Long & Prosper lapel pin
- A Valiant Comics exclusive — Valiant 4001 A.D. (with David Mack lending his talents…)
- Quick Tangent: Tee wrote for Valiant’s Harbinger and Bloodshot for Kindle Worlds
- A Star Trek Enterprise-D sticker
- So many fandoms, not enough time…
- Hey, LootCrate — how about a Stranger Things crate? Something to think about!
43:59 — Wrapping up
- Closing in to the end of 2016!
- A couple of people we need to reach out to…
- Where are we going to be between now and October…
- 19-21 August, LaurenCon 2016 in an undisclosed location in North Carolina
- 25 September, Tee is running the 2016 Dogfish Dash, an 8K race at the Dogfish Head Ale Brewery!
- 14-16 October, Steampunk unLimited in Strasburg, PA
- 22 October, The Maryland Renaissance Festival in Annapolis, MD for the “Day of Wrong”
- …and then we’re taking a break. But if you or a friend have an event where you would like to see us…
- Call us at 703.791.1701 (now accessible through the Instagram app!)
- Send me email — firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send Pip email — email@example.com
- …or find us on social media everywhere.
- We got projects reaching critical mass. Hopefully, news incoming.
- Weren’t we taking a break? BREAKS ARE FOR DUDES!
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
leave us a voicemail or questions for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
We’ll talk about it!
And remember, you can find the show on iTunes or Stitcher!
Subscribe, listen, and review.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.