photo credit: TwiMom 227 (Thanks!)
Yes, this is completely unhinged, completely off-the-cuff, completely EXPLICIT, but it is what it is — Authors After Dark! the event that you have heard Pip and I blog about is now coming to you raw, uncut, uncensored, and absolutely off-the-wall. With special guest, AAD founder Stella Price goes into the why’s behind this incredible event, what it takes to succeed at Authors after Dark, and who is going to be attending Authors After Dark in 2013…
…and yes, Crazy Uncle Charlie even makes an appearance, much to the alarm of Stella!
00:00 — Introduction
- In a moment of late night punchiness, Pip breaks the Prime Directive of this Parsec-Nominated podcasta Parsec Finalist .
- What a slap-dash opening…and we blame the previous week of Tee’s life…
- Unless Texas wants to sponsor a trip for us, were backing out of FenCon this year.
- Tee goes there concerning the Revealing Eden author, setting the tone for this madcap and HIGHLY EXPLICIT episode of The Shared Desk.
03:28 — Authors After Dark with Stella Price (and a Rogues Gallery of authors, bloggers, and good people)
- Straight from the Big Easy…
- Who is in Pip and Tee’s Suite for this Shared Desk?
- Carolyn Crane, author
- Tee Tate, book blogger
- Chris Tate, good guy
- Suzanne Butler, author
- Sidney Bristol, author
- Lia Habel, author
- Alex D, good guy
- P.J. Schnyder, author
- Matt, good guy
- Jenn a/k/a TwiMom 227, book blogger
- …and the incomparabile Stella Price, author and convention founder.
- The inspiration behind Authors After Dark: Providing a playing field that is fair.
- No, seriously, Stella’s got a bone to pick with RT…
- Who made P.J. a host?!
- Everyone is on equal ground at Authors After Dark, and Stella does this because she believes in the industry.
- And a real, honest moment is shattered…
- Pip and Tee give their feelings on the intensity of Authors After Dark.
- What makes Authors After Dark so different…
- Authors chime in on the AAD Atmosphere (Part One)
- 16:35 — First Dakota Cassidy mention (and she’s an awesome bitch!)
- Authors chime in on the AAD Atmosphere (Part Two)
- TwiMom think she’s stalking us…but little did she know……
- Stella makes it clear that the super-fans find themselves in a different world at Authors After Dark.
- Dragging a slightly-tipsy Sidney on to the mic, here’s a new author’s perspective.
- 25:35 — Another Dakota Cassidy mention… (Why isn’t this woman on our show?!)
- Suzan looks at the AADNOLA experience as both an author and as a reader.
- Turning the mic over to Tee Tate who only swung by for the public signing event — what did Tee Tate and Lit Stack think of the event?
- Tee and Tee…but which Tee did Tee meet first?! And then there is Lia Habel’s doppelganger around AAD…
- TwiMom covers the process in becoming a Featured Blogger at AAD.
- “ARCs Up the Ass” — the new slogan for AAD
- It’s over….but it’s not over yet…but Stella calls the 2012 event “the best one yet” on all levels!
37:13 — Writers Off the Clock
- For many of us, this is our first time in “Nawlans” and so we came up with a way to describe the Big Easy.
- The things you see when walking down Bourbon Street…
- You know you’re in New Orleans when strip clubs are used as landmarks.
- According to Stella, there is no truth in advertising of the “Little Darlings” nightclub.
- If the Zombie Apocalypse breaks out, blame Lia Habel’s mom…
- Hey, wait a minute — what flavor are those Slurpee machines?!
- The things you see…in red dresses…for charity… (What IS this charity, after all?!)
- The 2013 Savanna event takes inspiration from New Orleans — take a shot, buy a book, HAVE A BALL!!!
- Pip’s perspective of her first adventure in the Big Easy — “I see dead cross dressers.”
- I like the way Stella says “cockroaches” — don’t you?
- No, seriously, there are some beautiful things to see in New Orleans. Ask TwiMom.
- Once again, Pip — there is no one in Louisiana that looks like the cast of True Blood.
53:28 — Writing Advice from Crazy Uncle Charlie
- And the reactions to Crazy Uncle Charlie begin, almost as if they know him….intimately…
- Crazy Uncle Charlie goes for broke with Stella Price…
- From Lia — What P.O.V works best — First Person or Third Person?
- Someone didn’t circulate the memo to P.J. that this segment is NOT to be taken seriously!
- From P.J. — How do you get a feel for a city or setting you want to incorporate into a new work?
- Wow…people are taking this segment SO SERIOUSLY!!!
- Turns out that Crazy Uncle Charlie digs the moms, too…..
- From TwiMom — What if your work-in-progress’ setting is a Fantasy or Science Fiction? How do your travels and life experiences translate into that work?
- From Sidney — With multiple-partner-group-sex scenes, how do you handle pronoun usage?
- Sadly, Sidney walks away with an unexpected truth — never trifle with Crazy Uncle Charlie.
- Looking ahead to 2013 with Authors After Dark
- Stella is planning more mischief and mayhem in Savannah, Georgia!
- An exclusive event for Young Adult authors, sponsored by four of the Big Six.
- A Riverboat Dinner
- Taking over a hotel. (No kidding…the entire hotel!)
- …and much, much more. (So long as you don’t feed the alligators.)
- August 15-18. Mark your calendars.
- Giving a bit more love to my name twin and her kick-ass blog…and to all the book bloggers out there…
- Once more, Pip and Tee give their love for Authors After Dark.
- If you want to come, you’re going to want to register and book. Soon!
- A quick push on where to find all of us online…
- And while we didn’t mention it in the show, here’s what’s coming up with the two of us in August and September?
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.
Filed under Episodes
Tagged as #podcast, AAD, authors, Authors after Dark, Carolyn Crane, Crazy Uncle Charlie, field trips, independent, Lia Habel, LitStack, New Orleans, NOLA, P.J. Schnyder, promotion, Romantic Times, RT, Savannah, Sidney Bristol, small press, Stella Price, Suzan Butler, Tee Tate, travel, TwiMom227