So it’s been a while since we have sat down and recorded a Shared Desk, but how about this — when we finally got a chance to record a Shared Desk, we did it with the lovely P.J. Schnyder. This episode is about tough choices we make as authors in bringing about the demise of a character. Why do we do this to our creations? Is it for shock value? Is it for impact? And do we really care in the end?
00:00 — Introduction
- A brand new Shared Desk, and this time we brought a friend!
- Who is P.J. Schnyder?
- The way to a woman’s heart: Meat and Explosives
- Letting the drop-in’s fly!
- And God said “Okay, Tee, enough with the drop-in’s!”
02:46 — Making Tough Choices
- What happened between Shared Deskepisodes
- Making a book trailer
- The Steampunk World’s Fair
- Blogworld and B.E.A.
- …or what we remember of Blogworld and B.E.A.
- The dangers of drinking with agents, editors, and new friends…
- Getting complaints — a second one from a book critic — concerning a choice Pip and I made in The Janus Affair…
- Do we create characters simply to kill them?
- Evoking the name of Joss and when he kills beloved characters in his works.
- When do authors cross a line?
- Did J.K. Rowling go too far (or not far enough) in The Deathly Hollows?
- Tee’s gripes on Farscape and clever twists on bringing characters back
- Jumping genres and discussing a gratuitous death (or was it?) on M*A*S*H*
- We do care about the characters we kill.
- Do we write for entertainment, or to make an impact?
- TANGENT: Waxing happily about random drop-in’s for computers and future shows…
20:51 — Writers Off the Clock
- Sonic Boom is away at summer camp…so we have been indulging…in watching movies…
- Tee and Pip are talking about John Carter. (P.J. is talking about porn, we think…)
- A pleasant surprise of John Carter
- Terrific characters
- A lot of charm
- Fantastic visuals
- Tee, Pip, and P.J. go into Disney’s bungling of John Carter‘s marketing
- This movie had a lot going for it! (Even the credit sequence was good!)
- Bringing it back to marketing of books — when it works, when it doesn’t, and when it boggles the mind….
- What does P.J. do to relax?
- Shout-out to his special man, Ord
- The Good as Gold Tournament
- How does P.J. manage her time?
- Shout out to Stella Price!
36:23 — The Wrap-Up
- Drinks to mix, food to prepare, and stuff to blow up!
- Time to plug away!
- And here’s where we drop a little surprise on P.J. Schnyder as we all wait to hear from The Parsec Awards…
- What’s coming up for us…
- Pip has Hunter and Fox out and Wrayth coming soon…
- Pip is aiming to start a new series in November
- Now that The Janus Affair: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel is out, Tee & Pip work on Dawn’s Early Light
- Tee is looking up Tales from the Archives: Volume 2 launches on April 10 with new stories from the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences
- Upcoming Conventions
- The Baltimore Book Festival
- …and FenCon (once again!)
- P.J.’s Upcoming Conventions
- Authors After Dark
- …and maybe Dragon*Con
- …and Pip shows up Tee on the Creative Commons tag. Again.
- Linnea Sinclair’s Savvy Authors workshop
- Patricia Briggs
- M*A*S*H* (the feature film)
- Destined to Play (The “If you liked 50 Shades of Grey…” book)
- Write or Die
- Gimmie Shelter
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.