This Shared Desk is a look into the past where authors look to the future. If you didn’t follow any of us online during the week of the Smoky Writers’ Retreat, then all this will be new to you! It’s the night before we set off for the mountains of Tennessee, and after a terrible day-that-stretched-into-the-night at the Day Job, Tee downs a bottle of high test beer and leads the podcast. It’s an episode of goal setting and profanity dropping. Hang on to something….
00:00 — Introduction
- Tee is one beer in…and yes, he is feeling it.
- We need to come up with a new drop-in for Pip.
- Matt recalls his delightful visit to The Man Cave of Old Town Manassas…and Tee simmers like a fine beef stew….
- Aren’t you a little old for Snapchat, HattsOfMatt?
- There’s a J-bomb, an F-bomb, and people talking over drop-in’s to add to the insanity of the day…but now, the countdown is on.
03:44 — The Pre-Retreat Podcast (with Piper and Matt!)
- This is all Matt’s idea…both the podcast and Tee’s condition!
- Smoky Mountain Writers 2016 — TOMORROW!!!
- Matt and Piper are worried about Initiation Night.
- The whole retreat is happening on account of Alex White. This is where it all began, and now….
- Dogfish Head’s Higher Math — Anger in a Bottle.
- Want to know what a bottle can do?
- Alex White discovered by accident this retreat would be a thing.
- Pip takes you through Smoky Mountain Writers 2015, sans Tee.
- PIP BALLANTINE! PODCASTER EXTRAORDINAIRE!!!!!! (Are you serious, Ballantine?!)
- And now Tee is a mess because of Pip’s damn mic…
- What did Tee do during last year’s retreat? Well, alongside PJ and Matt….
- What went WRONG last year.
- Even drunk, Tee can still handle the drop-in’s.
- Now keep in mind, Pip’s sober…and she’s doing odd things with her accent!
- So PJ, Matt…what’s on your mind about this upcoming retreat?
- Deadpool’s back.
- Tales of Drinkin’ Lincoln, greetings from Lauren “Scribe” Harris, and all kinds of shenanigans from Year One.
- Tee puts the Drakes on the spot about the Smoky Writers Retreat from the Writing Excuses Retreat that the Drakes attended…
- You can goof off at Smoky Mountain Writers, but when the Accountability Hour comes around, you’re screwed.
- Beware of Laser Dick.
- Piper J Drake goes into the details about Extreme Honor and the ass she is currently kicking!
- Tee is dropping the F-bomb liberally. He blames the beer.
- Making plans for the hot tub.
- Daredevil: Season 2 is out…and Matt just figured out that it’s out!
37:1o — Writers Off the Clock
- Right now, Piper and Matt are trying to figure out how to watch the new Daredevil in less than 12 hours.
- We’ve only watched the first episode…at this point.
- We broaden Matt’s culture with the stuff we talk about.
- The Expanse. Best science fiction in the past decade. (Yes, Tee went there.)
- Do your Man Cave a favor. Set yourself up with the Hue.
- Jessica Jones, Daredevil, and what Marvel brings to Netflix.
- Remember Charlie Cox in Stardust? Tee loves him in that movie.
- Piper J Drake does have an advantage with spinning kicks. Well, okay, two advantages…
- How True Detective made an impression on Daredevil…
- A terrific YouTube for movie fans—Every Frame Is a Painting
- Another show Tee’s really enjoying—iZombie. What—FUN!
- Pip is still sober…and getting MIGHTY CRASS!
50:33 — Wrapping up
- Pip’s enjoying a fantasy with Deadpool and Daredevil.
- What are our goals for the Retreat?
- The next time we sit down, we’re looking back to what we did when in the Smokies!
- Tee stumbles through credits.
- Got thoughts or comments on this show? We have voicemail — 703.791.1701
- And the anger consumes Tee…but he still gets in the plugs.
- And hey, Matt and Tee are making a podcast! COMING SOON!
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
on Tee, or the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences on Periscope
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.