Welcome to the end of 2011, and with a busy Christmas behind them, Tee and Pip are releasing an onslaught of podcasts (starting actually back on Christmas eve with a Tales from the Archives Christmas Special), and The Shared Desk is part of that aural assault. Ending one heck of a year, Tee and Pip not only look back on 2011 but share a few ideas for what they are planning for the new year…
00:00 — Introduction
- The first (of many) drop-in’s hits Pip without warning…
- Tee’s got a new set-up for the show — a new toy called Soundboard.
01:11 — A Look Back at 2011
- Tee and Pip take a look at 2011, and Tee gives a hint of things to come for future show production…
- Tee makes a hollow promise concerning the frequent drop-in’s
- We’re a bit surprised about how this show is being received.
- Enough about the podcast — what about writing accomplishments?
- A quick mention about The 99¢ Special for Phoenix Rising.
- Tee feels as if he has finally conquered short stories.
- A good year for writing, both fiction and non-fiction…
- Tee’s ghost-written article for the day job — Part 1
- Tee’s ghost-written article for the day job — Part 2
- Tee’s ghost-written article for the day job — Part 3
- Looking back on the cons from 2011
- Finally, a moment to catch our breath from an eventful year…
12:00 — Planning for 2012
- Pre-production on The Janus Affair book trailer
- Lessons learned from the Phoenix Rising book trailer
- Parts are being cast, and ideas are flying…
- What we’re planning for this book trailer, and any additional footage.
- Tales from the Archives: Volume 2, coming in April
- The 2012 Convention Tour
- How Tee and Pip narrow down their con schedule
- What are the “definities” of the 2012 con schedule?
- Pip’s upcoming releases — it’s a busy, busy year for the kiwi!
- Pip’s quick rant on cover art theft
- Some quality talk about Hunter & Fox, the new series Pip launches with Pyr Books in 2012
- Other ideas kicking around in our heads for the new year
- As writers, plans are important. Take some time and map out a realistic plan.
28:38 — Seriously? Seriously.
- From The Guardian comes a story about Lucía Etxebarria, a writer in Spain who is really talented when it comes to bad career choices…
- One of Spain’s outstanding novelists is making a claim that book piracy has driven her out of the industry.
- And Pip soldiers through the onslaught of drop-in’s…
- The publisher’s solution to combatting book piracy in Spain: Don’t offer it as an eBook.
- A discussion about book piracy
- What we’re calling a “Seriously?!” on — the writer’s reaction to her lackluster sales.
- Playing the Blame Game in Publishing
- We write because we love it. Can book pirates really steal your thunder like that?
37:51 — Writers Off the Clock
- False start…complete with background noise…
- Catching a movie over the holiday — Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
- An off-the-cuff review…complete with spoilers. Fast forward to The Wrap-Up if you want to avoid our chatter.
- What we liked about the movie
- The original stories from a variety of Conan Arthur Doyle’s classics
- The bromances throughout the film
- More steampunk elements introduced
- Breathing a sigh of relief at the timing of our book against this movie…
- Highly recommended for people who want to have a fun time at the movies….and not accurate adaptations of Sherlock Holmes stories.
43:59 — The Wrap-Up
- Now we’re going to wrap up the episode…
- This is the BIG wrap-up for the year!
- Thanks to everyone who has been listening.
- Tales from the Archives — the final episode of Volume 1 is almost here!!! (Pip’s fault.)
- Get your voicemail in before January 8 so we can get them in for our Listener Appreciation Show.
- What’s the plans with Chronicles of the Order?
- Tee stumbles through the CreativeCommons outro while Pip nails it on the fly…
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.