- They said we couldn’t make it… whoever they are…
- Pip and Tee chose Birds of Prey for their Valentine’s movie!
- We get cheers from chat!
3:04 Let’s Look Back
- Pip tried to count Dog Days of Podcasting that Tee did in 2018
- Consistency… well not so much our thing….
- Episode 1… we started off pretty exclusively about the craft!
- And we started with the idea of half hour episodes…
7:23 Types of episodes
- We’ve done craft and business episodes
- But our most downloaded episode was Episode 59, about Penny Dreadful from a writer’s point of view
- Then we’ve covered, marketing, had guests in show, and recorded from events
- Then there are the odd ones…
- And the evergreen content ‘writers did what now?’
9:29 Let’s talk about guests
- Guests… we’ve been very lucky!
- Piper J Drake and K T Bryski duke it out for most on show
- Nick and Stacia Kelly also been on there quite a few times
- Lauren ‘Scribe’ Harris has stopped on by a bit too!
- The WINNER IS KT Bryski! (Also involved in beer talk)
- Episode 30… what is a writer’s intern? K T came and stayed for quite a while.
- We’ve had MK Backstrom, Alex White, Tim Dodge, Spence, Nobilis on the show
14:02 We Tracked Smoky Writers
- From the beginning, our beloved retreat was covered. Either there, or a post-retreat review
- Our largest guest episode, with all the microphones!
- Pip reflects on the fun stuff represented by the Shared Desk
14: 55 Consistency? What’s that??
- Sometimes we slipped…
- Editing is a thing… we don’t like to just release into the wild
- Deadlines and families to come first… podcasting fell by the way side
- Some years have been easier than others
- We started streaming in 2018, episode 90.
- Streaming has kept us more on track
17:28 Memories of past segments
- Eagle vs kiwi — limited options after a point
- Crazy Uncle Charlie — his time passed (Pip was happy about that)
20:32 Picking out some favorite episodes and topics
- Pip mentions episode 23, where we talked about a writer’s kit and giveaway swag
- Tee diverts into Penny Dreadful side rant…
- Pip and Tee discuss some of the changes to swag people expect
- Pip mentions the 99c book promo choices authors make
- The infamous way Goodreads reviewers mark books before they’ve even been released
- Giving away your work, you need to be careful how you do it
- The short story market has changed over the course of this podcast
- Work for free is still however something to be avoided
- SFWA has also changed… and improved!
- Print is still alive!
- Pip’s patreon got started in the middle of the Shared Desk
36:37 Live shows!
- A lot of fun has been had at a lot of conventions
- Episode 75 from the SFWA Nebula Awards show. One of Tee’s favs
- Our first on the road show, was Author’s After Dark
- Demi-Con was a blast, and Tee was Guest of Honor
- Alyson Grauer we met there, and has a book out
- PC Haring showed us around
40:47 Pip can’t recall and episode
- The mysterious episode 45… the world is full of disturbing books
- Oh and it was a racist POS
- The Shared Desk could be writers behaving badly
41:52 Pip’s Favorite
- Episode 51: The ABC
- Recorded around the time of the book cover shoot. Featuring Verena Vorsatz and Christina Payton.
- Quite a memorable time
46:21 Pip gets the credit
- Tee riffs on Pip causing the whole damn thing
- So many good times, so many good friends.
- We met the Kellys just because of this podcast
- What a grand time it’s been…
- Thank you for all the support and love
If you have an event and want The Shared Desk to appear there, or if you just want to share an opinion about the show, here’s where to find us… 703.791.1701
…and social media, of course.
Show art by Candy Cane Studios
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
leave us a voicemail or questions for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
We’ll talk about it!
And remember, you can find the show on Spotify, iTunes or Stitcher!
Subscribe, listen, and review.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.