Well, it has been quite a spell, but it does not necessarily mean that we are taking it slow this year…
Welcome back to The Shared Desk, now recorded LIVE on Twitch at Tee’s Twitch Channel. So what is the difference between the live stream and the podcast, you wonder? We’re offering listeners a compact, condensed version of the show in the podcast feed for when you may have missed the show. The live Shared Desk will go longer, and be completely raw and unedited. We will also take your comments and questions as they come in. We are enjoying the whole Twitch experience, and hope you continue to listen (and reach out to us) on either platform.
Alright then. on with the show, where we address the changes at CreateSpace.
00:00 — Introduction
- It’s been too long…
- Memories of Germany
- Did we happen to mention it’s been a week.
- Where the heck have we been?
- Twitch for Dummies is done!
- Celebrating seven years of marital bliss
- Tee reaches the Gold Edition as he turned 50.
- Pip is recording audio. A lot of audio.
- Oh, yeah, in September, there was an upgrade to the studio.
04:48 — Episode #91: Achtung, Baby! (The Germany Trip)
- Let’s celebrate the 50th birthday of Tee Morris!
- When you’re in Germany, you’re going to mention the war.
- Reminders are everywhere.
- History is everywhere you go in Germany.
- Oh, Bavaria…
- We like beer!
- We were visiting our steampunk supermodel.
- You want to hear more about the trip overseas? Watch the full show at the YouTube video! (Yeah, catching the show LIVE means extra content!)
07:30 — Episode #91: R.I.P. CreateSpace
- What’s breaking int he Writing World? (No, not writing advice from pretentious nitwits.)
- The death of CreateSpace
- We writers find ourselves, once again, here…
- CreateSpace was its own entity…until Amazon decided “We can do it better.”
- Yeah, about that…
- Come on, Amazon. Step up!
- We writers find ourselves, once again, here…
- It would have been great to have books for PhilCon, but there were two things we didn’t have: a working car, and books.
- Some concerns about this takeover beyond delivery of books
- Some opinions about Amazon courtesy of Hasan Minaj’s Patriot Act.
- We are hooked on Amazon. We admit it.
- It’s hard to deny how much power Amazon holds.
- Amazon need competition.
- What Tee is worried about: Quality of the Product from Amazon
- An early experience with Dragon Moon’s experience with Ingram’s Spark
- Devil’s Advocate: Times and technology are different.
- How Amazon is handling proof copies
- Amazon marks proofs as proofs.
- Tee also has a bad story about booksellers selling proofs.
- And here is where the “marital bliss” kicks in.
- Pip Ballantine, dealer of sick burns
- A mini-rant on Apple iBooks and the indie author
- So far, the quality of books is fine; but we are still early in this new relationship.
- Amazon is not a perfected science. Here are a few disappointments from the past…
- So what options do you have outside of Amazon?
- Pip is working with BookBub, and digging it so far.
- Did you know about the Books & Braun Dossier? This is a thing!
- We have our own holiday sale with The Curse of the Silver Pharaoh.
- There’s also a sale on our print books! 20% off, and more…
- The best way to get your copy of Twitch for Dummies autographed
- So with all this — will we still use Amazon?
- Old Man Morris rants about Facebook
- Boycotting the ‘Zon? Good luck with that.
- Here’s one good reason to stick with the ‘Zon…
28:08 — Loot Crate Lookie-Loo
- If it is possible to two-fist on a Loot Crate, we’re going to do just that!
- Tee is opening September’s Loot Crate: INVADERS
- The tee-shirt — Venom. Well played…but it’s black. And Tee is a little burned out on black tees. BUT IF YOU GO TO HANGRY GAMER GEAR…
- A Predator bandana, and it makes Tee smile wide. (A favorite movie of his…)
- There are a lot of statuettes, but this Alien statuette is a keeper!
- Always good to have a blank journal from The X-Files so you can take notes of close encounters.
- Tee’s pin is another nod to Aliens. Noice!!!
- Pip is tackling October’s Loot Crate: CURSED
- Her tee shirt lead — Attack on Titan …which is not our jam.
- Socks featuring the Gremlins!
- Pip also has a statuette, and it is Evil Dead 2 so it stays!
- There’s a room key from American Horror Story: Hotel ...and she can make the key her own!
- The pin? A classic Ouija board cypher. Well done!
- Wow…keeping everything but the shirts!
- And the Venom shirt is going to our buddy, Hugh!
36:04 — The Wrap-Up
- Wrapping up the podcast, but when you follow or subscribe to the stream, you get extra content!
- Where will Pip and Tee be, you might wonder?
- Did we mention Pip’s Patreon?
- And many future projects.
- But looking ahead to 2019…
- Tee is also working on getting podcasts back on track, including this one and Happy Hour from the Tower.
- If you have an event and want The Shared Desk to appear there, or if you just want to share an opinion about the show, here’s where to find us…
- …and social media, of course.
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
leave us a voicemail or questions for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
We’ll talk about it!
And remember, you can find the show on iTunes or Stitcher!
Subscribe, listen, and review.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.