Our intern from the Great White North, ForeWord-nominated author, Katie Bryski, has reached the end of her February internship. The mics are hot and we ask our intern the tough questions
00:00 — Introduction
- Show #30 — we have been good this year with our regular posting, and Tee’s got some new drop-in’s!!!
- This is the end of February, and Katie Bryski is hanging in there with her internship at Casa de Morris!
- Foreshadowing what’s coming up with this episode…
- Pip channels her inner-Chole and goes into what she’s been working on…
- Weather Child — the layout continues with the recent proof
- Immortal Progeny — After checking with the Book of George (R.R. Martin), the novel is taking shape.
- We’re looking overseas with our indie books and our agent of awesome.
- What Katie has been up to since the last show…
- Apply a few gold medals and Canuck gets cocky!
- Notes are back from her Stonecoast Mentor.
- “Research” for her day job…which means she’s drinking beer.
- Apparently, when it comes to giving us a bit of feedback on how hard Tee & Pip work her, silence is golden.
- What has Tee been up to?
- Reworking Wolf in the Fold
- The Billibub Kickstarter is starting to make some headway after one week. 31%. Not bad.
- The blog machine rolls on with the Endless Possibilities Blog Tour and on TeeMorris.com!
- Tee’s drinking beer with Katie. Good times!!!
- And the job hunt rolls on, but Tee’s considering options…
10:15 — What’s a Writer’s Internship?
- How did this whole idea of Katie becoming our intern actually happen?
- What does an intern for a writer do?
- There’s a fine line between intern and stalker.
- Pip takes a guess as to what you’re supposed to do during an internship?
- What Katie wanted to learn right off the bat: Survival Techniques for Indie Authors
- Working with Adobe Photoshop
- It’s all about the image.
- Mac Boy Vs. PC Girl
- Getting our digital hands dirty with layers.
- DepositPhoto.com — Pip’s new friend. And now, Katie’s
- Working with InDesign
- Katie LOVES this program…and templates are her friend!
- There’s still some terms she needs to get familiar with.
- Giving books personality with InDesign.
- Pip and Katie share the story behind Weather Child and how Katie went on a journey with the podcast…and now she’s laying out the book in print.
- K.T. Bryski, editor
- Taking the red pen in hand.
- It’s a big step in editing another person’s work, but Stonecoast’s lessons were applied.
- Working with Adobe Photoshop
- Katie was learning stuff from how Pip and Tee were dealing with writers in everyday life. (Yikes!)
- Pip has a pupil in her School of Love and & Despair.
- But Mighty Mur comes to save the day! (Love ya, Mur!!!)
- How our intern helped us out
- Networking us with other podcasts and blogs like 3 Geeks in a Pod
- Katie drops her contact info — contact (at) ministry of peculiar occurrences (dot) com
- Katie wants to come back for eBook layout classes
- A constantly changing technology
- Barnes & Noble Nook #FAIL
- Other stuff we did with Katie
- Katie is leaving….but she’s not leaving.
- What did the Intern teach the Mentors?
- Katie is an impressive student, picking up new tools in audio and video.
- We learned that our Intern is very possessive.
- Writers don’t have set hours.
- Just having assistance in setting up the calendar — awesome!
- The Intern’s First Assignment when she gets home: The Most Canadian Steampunk EVAR!
- Jack Mangan, the gauntlet has been thrown!
36:21 — Writers Off the Clock: Talking True Detective
- #DropInFAIL with both of the girls talking over the bumper…
- Setting the tone for this segment with “Far From Any Road” from The Handsome Family…
- THE. BEST. TELEVISION. SHOW. EVAR. True Detective, on HBO.
- What is it about True Detective and the appeal of Southern Gothic to geeks?
- Tee brings on a geekgasm on John Mireau’s Serving Worlds.
- The method of storytelling between 1995, 2002, and 2012.
- Some critics thought the show was slow, but that’s because they were watching it on Thursday…
- You have to pay attention with this show.
- Matthew McConaughey is stepping up as an actor.
- The characters of this show is like Louisiana — broken.
- True Detective from a film buff’s perspective.
- Katie’s perspective from a show “she would never watch.”
- The gothic science fiction touches throughout True Detective
- The good news for Katie: She found a source for the last two episodes!
- Talking about the writing of Nic Pizzolatto, the Executive Producer, Writer, and Creator of True Detective
- The relationship between Chole and Hart….played seamlessly by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson
- A comparison between True Detective and Homicide: Life on the Street
53:47 — The Wrap-Up
- Pip Ballantine just ignores the music cue. Shocker that.
- The rise of the anthology? Is it happening?
- Katie learned stuff with us…but we still have stuff to be teaching her!
- Pip and Tee turn to the Intern one last time for what’s coming up…
- Dawn’s Early Light, coming soon!
- Appearance on The Writing Show in Richmond, VA
- The final day of The Billibub Kickstarter is March 15
- Weather Child, coming on March 1.
- With the wonders of time-shifting, we talk about tomorrow’s launch of Tales from the Archives which went live yesterday!
- Where to contact everybody…
- Podcasters, bloggers, and media folks, if you want to book Tee & Pip, send a line to contact (at) ministryofpeculiaroccurrences (dot) com
- Drop Tee and Pip a voicemail at 703.791.1701, or drop us a comment here or in email.
- SHOW #35 ANNOUNCED AS OUR NEXT VOICEMAIL SHOW!!!
- How do you say goodbye? Giant freaking robots beating up monsters!
- Drop-in by request…
- …and Katie breaks out in to spontaneous song.
- Tee stumbles though the Creative Commons tag on account of teh feelz.
1:01:07 — The Outtake
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.