photo from Heidi Ruby-Miller
Tee and Pip make to Steel City for the 2017 Nebula Awards, and at the en masse signing, the pace for them slowed down. That tends to happen when the SFWA bookstore doesn’t stock your books. Fortunately, Tee stocked his satchel with the iPad and a Shure MV51. Five minutes later, Tee and Pip are bringing the 2017 Nebula Awards Book Signing and passer’s-by to you! Welcome to a moment at The Nebula Awards Conference where Katie, Tee, Pip, Lauren, Piper, and Matt — the Smoky Writers Mafia — gathered amongst the best in science fiction. Give them a call at 703-791-1701, and ask about anything concerning this conference. It was quite the education!
00:00 — Episode #75: The 2017 SFWA Nebula Awards Conference
- Promo: The Nerd Out App
- LIVE from Pittsburgh!!!
- Pip thinks she has a “radio voice” but it’s not really
- Looks who dropped by! It’s Mel!!! And Heather is here as well!
- What brings Mel and Heather to The Nebula Awards? Well, this is Mel’s hometown!
- Notes from The Nebula Conference, Confluence, and Pittsburgh on a whole
- Beer tastings happen, especially when K.T. Bryski is around!
- Avoid food served in a bucket.
- Pip might get in some sight-seeing…
- Tee’s asked to sign a program. As he looks for a place to sign, have a listen to the Programming of the conference.
- Pip recalls her panel of awesome with Mary Robinette Kowall.
- Escape Artists, Inc. shows up in force at the Nebulas.
- A few words on audio rights, and how important they are…
- Tee reflects on his first panel: Other Day Jobs for Writers…
- …then came Podcasting 101 with Piper J Drake and Pip in the Moderator’s Seat.
- What happens when you sit down with Apple iBooks…
- Want to visit the Mother Ship in Cuppertino? (YES!!!)
- Changing travel plans for December.
- Apple wants to talk to authors, and be more author friendly.
- We get a visit from Heidi Ruby Miller (right) who is rocking this cool retro sci-fi pattern…
- And just like that Heidi’s on the podcast.
- Yes, there is a ball app and Tee travels with one.
- Heidi has snuck away from the Penn Writers Conference to hang with science fiction authors.
- What was Heidi up to at the Penn Writers Conference?
- What Heidi and her husband, Jack, are up to on social media?
- Check out Small Space, Big Life on YouTube
- And Jack is shaking his backsides at the Nebulas.
- And as Larry Connelly passes by, Tee recognizes him from Podcasting 101!
- Larry, it turns out, is a podcasting veteran.
- No books to sign, but we do have autograph cards!
- Grabbing Jennifer Dawson, a Stonecoaster alongside K.T. Bryski, to clock in some time on the mic…
- A quick opinion on Stonecoast
- And what does Jenn write? Well now…
- The support of a community matters.
- Tee tells Jenn about the James River Writers, and how he found out about them.
- Turns out Omaha has a LOT going on for writers!
- Jenn’s favorite panels from the conference.
- The power of podcasting: Keeping ourselves entertained when books are not around.
- Signing off…
34:59 — The Loot Crate Lookie-Loo (with The Kelly Family!)
- Nick, Stacia, and Brandon wanted to be around when we opened up this Loot Crate…
- May’s Theme: Guardians
- Q-Fig of Rocket and Groot! How about those Q-Fig creations?
- The tee shirt is Goonies-riffic!
- A Star Wars Coloring Book?! Tee is 7 again!
- The Loot Crate pin is Avatar: The Last Airbender. Not his fandom, but it’s pretty sweet.
- A Character Class Patch Set from Destiny…
- …and the box becomes your Ghost, as we talk about in Happy Hour from the Tower.
- Here’s what it looks like when it’s done…
- NICE HAUL!!!
45:45 — The Wrap-Up
- Pip needs some Stark-splaining!
- WE GOT TICKETS FOR WONDER WOMAN!!!
- The Nebula Conference was fun! So was our visit to Balticon 51!
- Where are we going to be?
- 16-18 June, AwesomeCon in Washington D.C. (No, we’re not going to get that photo with Stan Lee…)
- 30 June-July 2, BlerDCon in Washington D.C. (Wait, hold on, what’s BlerDCon? And what are Nick and Tee up to?)
- A quick tangent on Star Trek: Discovery...
- 14-16 July, Motor City Steam Con in Detroit, MI
- This ain’t Tee’s first rodeo. Obviously.
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s or Pip’s account,
leave us a voicemail or questions for the show at 703.791.1701,
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
We’ll talk about it!
And remember, you can find the show on iTunes or Stitcher!
Subscribe, listen, and review.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.
Our intern from the Great White North, ForeWord-nominated author, Katie Bryski, has reached the end of her February internship. The mics are hot and we ask our intern the tough questions
00:00 — Introduction
- Show #30 — we have been good this year with our regular posting, and Tee’s got some new drop-in’s!!!
- This is the end of February, and Katie Bryski is hanging in there with her internship at Casa de Morris!
- Foreshadowing what’s coming up with this episode…
- Pip channels her inner-Chole and goes into what she’s been working on…
- Weather Child — the layout continues with the recent proof
- Immortal Progeny — After checking with the Book of George (R.R. Martin), the novel is taking shape.
- We’re looking overseas with our indie books and our agent of awesome.
- What Katie has been up to since the last show…
- Apply a few gold medals and Canuck gets cocky!
- Notes are back from her Stonecoast Mentor.
- “Research” for her day job…which means she’s drinking beer.
- Apparently, when it comes to giving us a bit of feedback on how hard Tee & Pip work her, silence is golden.
- What has Tee been up to?
- Reworking Wolf in the Fold
- The Billibub Kickstarter is starting to make some headway after one week. 31%. Not bad.
- The blog machine rolls on with the Endless Possibilities Blog Tour and on TeeMorris.com!
- Tee’s drinking beer with Katie. Good times!!!
- And the job hunt rolls on, but Tee’s considering options…
10:15 — What’s a Writer’s Internship?
- How did this whole idea of Katie becoming our intern actually happen?
- What does an intern for a writer do?
- There’s a fine line between intern and stalker.
- Pip takes a guess as to what you’re supposed to do during an internship?
- What Katie wanted to learn right off the bat: Survival Techniques for Indie Authors
- Working with Adobe Photoshop
- It’s all about the image.
- Mac Boy Vs. PC Girl
- Getting our digital hands dirty with layers.
- DepositPhoto.com — Pip’s new friend. And now, Katie’s
- Working with InDesign
- Katie LOVES this program…and templates are her friend!
- There’s still some terms she needs to get familiar with.
- Giving books personality with InDesign.
- Pip and Katie share the story behind Weather Child and how Katie went on a journey with the podcast…and now she’s laying out the book in print.
- K.T. Bryski, editor
- Taking the red pen in hand.
- It’s a big step in editing another person’s work, but Stonecoast’s lessons were applied.
- Katie was learning stuff from how Pip and Tee were dealing with writers in everyday life. (Yikes!)
- Pip has a pupil in her School of Love and & Despair.
- But Mighty Mur comes to save the day! (Love ya, Mur!!!)
- How our intern helped us out
- Networking us with other podcasts and blogs like 3 Geeks in a Pod
- Katie drops her contact info — contact (at) ministry of peculiar occurrences (dot) com
- Katie wants to come back for eBook layout classes
- A constantly changing technology
- Barnes & Noble Nook #FAIL
- Other stuff we did with Katie
- Katie is leaving….but she’s not leaving.
- What did the Intern teach the Mentors?
- Katie is an impressive student, picking up new tools in audio and video.
- We learned that our Intern is very possessive.
- Writers don’t have set hours.
- Just having assistance in setting up the calendar — awesome!
- The Intern’s First Assignment when she gets home: The Most Canadian Steampunk EVAR!
- Jack Mangan, the gauntlet has been thrown!
36:21 — Writers Off the Clock: Talking True Detective
- #DropInFAIL with both of the girls talking over the bumper…
- Setting the tone for this segment with “Far From Any Road” from The Handsome Family…
- THE. BEST. TELEVISION. SHOW. EVAR. True Detective, on HBO.
- What is it about True Detective and the appeal of Southern Gothic to geeks?
- Some critics thought the show was slow, but that’s because they were watching it on Thursday…
- You have to pay attention with this show.
- Matthew McConaughey is stepping up as an actor.
- The characters of this show is like Louisiana — broken.
- True Detective from a film buff’s perspective.
- Katie’s perspective from a show “she would never watch.”
- The gothic science fiction touches throughout True Detective
- The good news for Katie: She found a source for the last two episodes!
- Talking about the writing of Nic Pizzolatto, the Executive Producer, Writer, and Creator of True Detective
- The relationship between Chole and Hart….played seamlessly by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson
- A comparison between True Detective and Homicide: Life on the Street
53:47 — The Wrap-Up
- Pip Ballantine just ignores the music cue. Shocker that.
- The rise of the anthology? Is it happening?
- Katie learned stuff with us…but we still have stuff to be teaching her!
- Pip and Tee turn to the Intern one last time for what’s coming up…
- Where to contact everybody…
- Podcasters, bloggers, and media folks, if you want to book Tee & Pip, send a line to contact (at) ministryofpeculiaroccurrences (dot) com
- Drop Tee and Pip a voicemail at 703.791.1701, or drop us a comment here or in email.
- SHOW #35 ANNOUNCED AS OUR NEXT VOICEMAIL SHOW!!!
- How do you say goodbye? Giant freaking robots beating up monsters!
- Drop-in by request…
- …and Katie breaks out in to spontaneous song.
- Tee stumbles though the Creative Commons tag on account of teh feelz.
1:01:07 — The Outtake
cover art by J.R. Blackwell
Find us on Twitter at either Tee’s
leave us a voicemail or question for the show at 703.791.1701
or leave us a comment here at the blog.
Enjoy the ride
and we’ll catch you later.